Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very excited for the summer because I will be moving to Kansas after accepting a faculty position there. I am soo looking forward to it and am seriously considering buying a house. It has a nice fenced yard, and the yard isn't too big which means I wont have to spend alot of time mowing it ;).

I am hoping to move around June 20 to get set up there plus it will give me time I can be home alot with Tal and Midnight before school starts and they can get acclimated. I have already started packing and I know Tal has noticed this but I have kept up his play, walks and all and I think he will be ok as long as we are together. I was going to change him to adult food in July, when he is a year old, but I may wait a little longer because even under the best of conditions he will still be under a little stress. I plan on taking him to daycare the day I packup the truck then the day we leave I'll play fetch with him so I bet he sleeps most of the way.

I'm going to purchase a PetTaxi, or something like that, for Midnight and spray some Feliway in it. She is an outdoor cat and she doesn't know it but she will be an indoor cat before this is over. ;). I am also going to get her a cat tree and use the ex-pen I got for Tal to set it off so she can have her own area and get some peace and quiet if she wants it.

Definitely will get some pictures because I bet this will be an adventure for us all!

Sorry for the length but I thought I'd share not only my news but make sure I have the bases covered for both my furkids. The truck is air conditioned so the ride will definitely be alot more comfortable for us than my Jeep! Oh yeah, I will be stopping every two or three hours to let Tal out to potty, and maybe play with him a bit. I'm gonna be particular about where I do that though. I never stop at rest stops and won't especially with him because every body takes their dogs out to potty there and you never know what they have.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Good luck, Guy. Sounds like you have everything covered. Congrats on your new teaching position!

I hate rest stops also and never use them for the dogs. Tal will be going on a BIG adventure.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Wow! That was fast! Has this been in the works for a while?
Anyway, sounds like you have the transport part well arranged. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paddysmom said:
Wow! That was fast! Has this been in the works for a while?
Anyway, sounds like you have the transport part well arranged. :)
Yes..I have been applying since February so I have had this in the works for awhile. I considered it alot and since it is an opportunity to teach at the next level, I figure that is a good thing.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...it will be an adventure for me too becuase I have never traveled with animals before..I just want to make sure they have as comfortable a trip as possible.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Contgrats on new Job, hope the move and job goes well for you and the animals, I am sure Tal we look on it as a big adventure :)

Ps I think my Saska's avatar Picture looks a lot like TAL?

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Congrats on your new job!!! How exciting for you and Tal. Tal's new big adventure. Be sure to take lots of pics and give us the low down on when you leave etc. How far of a trip is it for you? :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Lynnafcb said:
Contgrats on new Job, hope the move and job goes well for you and the animals, I am sure Tal we look on it as a big adventure :)

Ps I think my Saska's avatar Picture looks a lot like TAL?
They do look a lot alike

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Curious, where in Kansas?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds like it will be a great adventure with Tal and Midnight. Take lots of pics. Best of luck with the new job. I hope it is everything you expected and more (good stuff).

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Congratulations on the new job.

I have lots of traveling with Cinnamon. And we moved a lot when I was a kid (dad's retired USAF) with our pets.

One thing I would make sure of is you take enough water they are use to for the entire trip. Nothing is worse than a puppy with an upset tummy and changes in water can set that off.

My favorite places for stopping and excercising Cinnamon are at a park in town or state park, a hospital's green space or a church that has a lawn. Of course I clean up after her. I would also check for dog parks along your route if you are going to be more than a single day drive so Tal can have some time to run free.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Congratulations. Don't forget when you stop to leave the air conditioning running in the truck with the doors locked. You will have 2 sets of keys right? When I traveled to Long Island with my dogs I always made the pit stop for me first since I have tinted windows and no one can see inside. Then I would take my dog out to do its business. :)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I bet you are thrilled! :) A new job, a new house, a new state! Good thing you have some "constants" like Midnight and Tal to keep you sane! ;) Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
delmonico said:
Curious, where in Kansas?
I'll be in Great Bend at Barton County Community College. It's in the south central part of the state. I was there the night Greensburg got wiped off the map from the tornado..:(

Azlab, thanks for the idea about the water. I don't know how the water here and there compares, but when I was there for my interview, I really didn't notice much difference in the taste. I'll make sure they have lots of Memphis water for the trip!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts