Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATED:
Here are some pics of the big meeting! This is after she got used to him a bit. At first she was REALLY scared and had her tail under. She was running away and hiding from him and peeing a lot. He was very gentle with her, but he's so big it was like a whale flopping a seal around! We separated them several times just in case:)

Hi everyone,

We are taking Ellie to meet my sisters 9 month old lab next weekend. I think he is about 70 pounds. I'm worried about him hurting Ellie - either from playing too rough, or possibly getting aggressive. From what I've seen he's a sweet dog, but he's SO much bigger than she is right now. Am I being silly, or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Re: Concerned about 9 month old playing with 4 month old...

Has Ellie ever played with other dogs? I don't think you should be concerned unless the other dog is aggressive or something, or if Ellie is. Dogs communicate with each other and will let one another know if the play is too rough. Just my opinion, but Marlan has been playing just fine with other large breed dogs since he was a tiny pup.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

I think you are okay to be concerned. I think as long as you keep an eye on them, and are able to have both dogs "settle" or give them each space when they get too rambunctious, it will be fine. At that age they don't quite know when to stop or go easy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Good to know, thanks. She has not been around other dogs yet. She will be though this Thursday at her first puppy class, so we'll see how she does.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

I would monitor them. Usually puppies will play rough and if one gets a little too rough the one that gets nipped will break off the play. If the other dog is a bully and say he pancakes the smaller dog and won't let her up then I would step in.
Olie

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks. Yes, we will make sure to monitor them the whole time. We are "new parents" and are kind of paranoid ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts

You will probably be fine as long as you are supervising them. Ernie just met his cousin Casey last weekend and she is 3 years old. He actually was rougher than she was. You can see them at play here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWtyc-C9Hs

I had to tell them to calm down a couple of times but they both did a great job together.

Have a great time next weekend and make sure to bring your camera/video!!! :)

·
Registered
703 Posts

they will be fine as long as the other dog is not agressive. Let them play, your dog will learn a lot about playing, even though the 9 month old dog probably still has some learning to do as well. they will be best buds!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

I think they will be fine with supervision. Just keep an eye on them and they will be ok. Be sure to take some vids or pics!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks! I'll take pics for sure. The other dog is not aggressive, so hopefully we'll be ok. I'll post the pics when we get back:)

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Glad to hear everything went fine. From what I've seen, the older or larger labs seem to instinctively know to take it easy on the little ones. When Bodie was a baby and all of 20 lbs. he used to terrorize Sam who is about 95 lbs. Sam was so patient and would just roll on his back and let Bodie chew on him. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
It is really important for puppies to play with other puppies and dogs so that they learn how to communicate and how to behave appropriately with each other. I am glad to see they got along - but I am not surprised!!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Ellie is cutie and she looks like she was holding her own. Nothing like a good game of bitey face to wear a girl out!!! I am sure they were fun to watch.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Saskas best buddy is a West Highland Terrier called Oscar, and we worried at first that she would be too rough with him but bless her they play really well together, and Saska will jump over Oscar rather than land on him, it is always Saska that is on the ground and Oscar that is on top. I am sure they will be fine together :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Magnum and Ruger love to play with Remington and they out weigh him by a lot. It's fun to see Magnum roll Remy around, and Ruger let's Remy climb on him and then he flips him half way across the room.

The one thing about puppies is... . They are pretty durable and hard to break... their bones are soft.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My pup when she was 4 1/2 months played with a 1 year old mix lab. At first she was also intimidated, but after 10mins or so Maya was the one who was trying to jump on the mix lab lol, and the mix lab played just as well with her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts