Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to ask my son last night. What does 64-bit mean? I had 32-bit on my old computer. It seems to be the VCista OS system. Will this affect the programs I buy? I don't know what it means. I know you smart computer people will know.
I need to by some new programs & I know to look for ones that are compatable with Vista, but is this something I need to also look for?
TIA

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
You can still run 32-bit programs on that.

If it is going to effect anything- it'll effect drivers for any devices you may for the computer.

Are you running Vista 64?

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Aim. I think it is. I just read this off the specs for the computer:
Vista Home Premium (64-bit).

I just did not know what that meant.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
It's a choice you make, the 32bit (at least some models) can only recognize 3gh of ram (so if you get a 32bit windows vista version on a computer with 4ghz of ram then you can't use that last ghz - though the guy at the store today said that isn't true....but I don't believe guys at Best Buy!).
With the vista 64bit you may not be able to use older (or simple) software/programs but it recognizes as many GHZ of ram as you have.

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00001.htm

I know alot of people who recommend sticking with the 32 bit. But to each their own. I just bought a laptop with the 32 bit version.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was wondering this too! We got the kids a new computer for Christmas and we got some weird message when we tried to install one of their old games. It told us it might not work properly because it was installed on a 64 bit computer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

64-bit refers to how much memory your computer can 'see' and use. For Engineering / CAD / Photo editing etc. more memory is not a requirement as much as its a necessity. For the average home computer user its not that big of a deal.
Yes, you'll find that some of your older programs won't work, or might need some messing about to get them working.
Also, some of the device drivers you'll occaisionally need to update (Video, Sound etc.) you'll see there's 32- and 64-bit versions of the same driver - Your new computer needs the 64-bit drivers, the 32-bit ones won't install.

If you run across any problems, feel free to ask here, and we'll see what we can do to help.
Tanya said:
... though the guy at the store today said that isn't true....but I don't believe guys at Best Buy!...
That bloke's talking crap - You can stuff all the ram in the world into a 32-bit machine, but it won't be able to see nor use anything above ~3.5gb

Cheers,

Pottsie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts