Just Labradors banner

Colitis cure

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  laurh 
#1 ·
My 4 year old Lab has been having mucous(y) poop since one month.. There is fresh (not dried) blood too in the stool around two inches from the mucou(y) end.. Vet says it is colitis.. He gave some antibiotics and deworming tablets. However that has not solved the problem. Please suggest any other remedies. The diet is cooked rice with milk. (two times a day). Can this high grain diet cause this? Please suggest a diet plan also for colitis?

#3 ·
OK..thanks for the input....i forgot i add a raw egg daily and now i have replaced milk with Yoghurt...now there is no blood in the stools but it is still mucousy ..we are vegetarians ...would love to hear a vegetarian diet...Thanks again.

#4 ·
Just FYI, dogs cannot digest the raw egg white. Yolks are good but not raw whites. They lack the enzyme necessary to digest it and it comes out pretty much the same as when it went in. Some yogurts are OK if as long as there isn't sugar. But once or twice a week. And it's nice to be a vegetarian but your dog is not and shouldn't be. Canines are carnivores. That is how they are built and meant to be. You are basically starving your dog. The best diet for a canine is a raw diet but if you won't do that get a good high quality food w/a good source of protein and feed the poor thing! These days there are many, many from which to choose. If you have fed that dog a vegetarian diet all of its life it may take awhile to rectify the lack of nutrition. Veggies as an add in or snack in small quantities are fine but not a major source of canine nutrition. Raw meat w/raw veggies and bone is superb. Good raw foods are OC, primal, Natures Variety...... easy to investigate online. Change the diet and the dog will feel better, look better and have proper nutrition! Mucus and blood coming out is not normal or something to ignore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.