Just Labradors banner

Colin - UK healthcare costs

346 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  imported_azlab 
#1 ·
I thought yours was all covered by your astronomical taxes. You pay out-of-pocket in addition to that?!?

#2 ·
No - that was my point ! We pay just the same as you do - it's just that we pay the government and not an insurance company !

Difference is that there is then no limit to the cover that we have even if it runs into 10's of thousands.

However we pay seperately to a large extent for dental cover ( except for children, mothers and some other minorities.

Our taxes are something else however - as you could see - twice the health care cost !

#4 ·
I've paid healthcare before.. at my previous job.. it was about $100 for lack-lustre coverage.. some dental, no eye care and the dispensing fee for presciptions.. my current job pays everything for us for superior coverage..

However.. everyone gets the necessary coverage like operations, hospital visits.. stuff like that.. so if you don't have coverage and you break an arm.. you don't pay anything.

Now if you don't have coverage and you need glasses or your teeth cleaned, you pay out of pocket.

#5 ·
kelli said:
I've paid healthcare before.. at my previous job.. it was about $100 for lack-lustre coverage.. some dental, no eye care and the dispensing fee for presciptions.. my current job pays everything for us for superior coverage..

However.. everyone gets the necessary coverage like operations, hospital visits.. stuff like that.. so if you don't have coverage and you break an arm.. you don't pay anything.

Now if you don't have coverage and you need glasses or your teeth cleaned, you pay out of pocket.
Kell - our vision and dental is separate from major medical, too. I carry vision for me (about $8.00/month) but I carry dental (about $14.00/month) for both of us. I go to the dentist twice a year for cleaning, no charge. I get my eyes checked about every two years. My last complete eye exam and a new contact lens Rx cost me what I pay each month for coverage plus a whopping $1.54 balance due.

#6 ·
Paddysmom said:
kelli said:

Kell - our vision and dental is separate from major medical, too. I carry vision for me (about $8.00/month) but I carry dental (about $14.00/month) for both of us. I go to the dentist twice a year for cleaning, no charge. I get my eyes checked about every two years. My last complete eye exam and a new contact lens Rx cost me what I pay each month for coverage plus a whopping $1.54 balance due.
My raging toothache mkes it hard to concentrate ! Does that say $140 ?...squint

#9 ·
Well I have it good with my employer for single coverage I pay $85 a month premiums. That includes medical, pharmacy, dental up to $2000 a year plus exams and cleaning are free, expanded vision as I wanted them to pay $500 of my Lasik, and 5 times my pay life insurance.
Now I do pay a $15 copay for doc visits, $125 for ER or inpatient admissions and like $25 for eye exams. My dental is $50 ded (does not apply to twice yearly baisc visits) and then pays 80/20. My SIL BR and nephew.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.