Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I couldn't figure out why Oakley was restless. She even opened her crate and went in there which she never does.
A light bulb came on and I checked her tail, yup, limp. She has cold tail again, this is the second time she has had it. I can't figure out what she would have done this time to get it. Last time, she had a really hard swim but this time it was only a short swim but I guess the water retrieves were long that must have been what did it.
Had just got home but had to go back up to my friends place as she had the bufferin. I bought it for her dog but knew Oakley wouldn't settle down unless she had something for pain last night.
Poor little thing.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
It seems that once they have had cold tail, they are more susceptible to it in the future. At least that is the way it has been with Jefferson. The first time he got it, he had 3 or 4 cases that same summer. He hasn't had it for about 2 years now, so I'm hoping that we are past the stage were he gets it every time he swims.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Awww, poor Oakley!

When Belle would get it, it was 2-3 times iin a summer for a couple summers. However she has not had a problem with cold tail in nearly 8 years now.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Poor baby. I hope she feels better. Abby had cold/limp tail on vacation for a few days. Probably too much ocean & pool.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone.
She is starting to improve.
I did have to call the vet to see if they would give me some metacam. The bufferin wasn't touching the pain at all for her.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It is a condition of the tail characterized by not wagging the tail, pain when touching the tail, pain when sitting on the tail, dog holding the tail straight for about 2-4 inches then the rest of the tail hangs straight down. It is very painful and is usually treated with a buffered asprin like Ascriptin, recovery time is typically 2-3 days. It is brought on by lots of swimming in dogs that haven't been swimming in a while or aren't used to that amount of exercise. Can also be brought on by vigerous amounts of play and wagging in dogs not acoustomed to it. Typically seen in early spring or summer in labs that are going out for the first time of the year. Sometimes seen when dogs go on vacation to someplace with water. Looks like a broken or sprained tail but isn't Vets often aren't aware of Cold/Limp Tail and often will perform other diagnostic tests such as x-rays, which turn up negative.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
POOR girl.... hope she's feeling better...... our Charlie Brown has it too..... he's been in the swimming pool ....

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Hope Oakley is a tail wagging labby again real soon! Sammi has had it once and know it is no fun for them or mom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts