Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this month we were contacted by a vet about a young lab mix that had been surrendered by her owners for euthanasia. She had been hit by a car, had her front upper teeth knocked out down to the bone, both hips had been popped out of place and she had a pelvic fracture and factures of the left and right femur.

The owners took her to the surgeon after the accident and he expertly repaired all her fractures. I’ve seen the post surgical repair radiographs and her repairs looked as good as they possibly could – near perfection for what she’d been thru.

The owners took her home and 2 weeks later returned her to the surgeon, now with both hips again, popped out of place and one of the femur fractures had again opened up and needed repair. And when quoted an estimate to once again fix her injuries – the owners signed her over to be euthanized.

Coco is 8 months old and possibly the sweetest little trooper you’ll ever meet. The owners told the surgeon that she had not been vaccinated and had no vet records.

Sweet, dear Coco kept giving the surgeon and his staff kisses and was so thankful and appreciative for every act of kindness shown to her and the vet could not bring himself to euthanize this sweet dear girl. He called the owners back and asked for a verbal release to give her to a rescue group and after receiving the verbal OK, he contacted our group and we agreed to take her.

I picked up Coco the next day, a Thursday and she was everything the clinic staff told me she was – sweet, tiny, adorable, very loving and generous with her kisses and quite possible the cutest little girl even with her little gummy toothless smile. We vaccinated and micro-chipped her and put her in a foster home with a wonderful foster mom and two foster labby sisters. Her repair surgery was scheduled for the following Wednesday.

Over the next few days - we rushed around trying to collect donations for her surgery and filling out funding assistance applications for her as well. Most of the funding sources required a second opinion and estimate so we also scheduled an appointment with another surgeon.

Monday, when I contacted the original surgeon to get copies of her radiographs the clinic staff acted very strange and would not answer any of my very simple questions and would not release the radiographs to me – even though the surgeon had agreed to this a few days before. When a vet clinic suddenly stops talking to you – it’s never good news so I was pretty freaked out at this point.

Tuesday, the surgeon called me back and told me that the owner wanted Coco back and not only did he want her back but he was now threatening to sue the surgeon. He claimed that the original surgery failed and he wanted his $ refunded, he wanted his dog returned and he wanted the surgeon to do the new repairs for free. At that time the owner was getting a little nasty with the surgeon and claimed that he had not authorized a release the dog to rescue so I immediately took her off our website and our blog to protect ourselves just I case the issue did end up in court.

That was 3 weeks ago and since then the owner of the clinic and the surgeon have been trying to resolve the issue with her previous owner and until the ownership was resolved no surgeon would touch her.

Then finally, today we were told that since the owner has not responded to the clinic owner for the last week, they now considered her abandoned and we can move forward with her treatment.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that her condition is more complicated than we originally thought. Her latest radiographs show one hip pushed up on top of the joint and the other pushed underneath the pelvis and into the holes (I can’t remember the technical term) in the lower back part of the pelvis. The longer it stays in the position the more difficult it will be to pull it back into place and give her a full working hip. The repaired pelvic fracture on the right side does not seem to be healing as expected and it could be due to a loss of blood supply.

I’m so frustrated with this situation, the owner and the delay in treatment he caused has made her condition even more expensive than before.

So, back to the drawing board for this sweet girl, but at least she’s now going to get the treatment that she deserves.

Coco, sleeping in the car.

Coco is amazing. She hobbles around and bunny hops on those messesd up hips but she never complains. She is always ready to play and give everyone she meets the sweetest, softest kisses.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Oh my gosh - you really do get some heart breakers. What a beautiful girl. Thankyou and everyone that is stepping up to care for her. I sure hope the surgery helps and she is able to recover and find that special home.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Wow...what a story. I cannot believe how folks just throw away their pets. Coco deserves an extra special home and I hope and pray she gets it.

Please keep us updated about her progress. I sure hope they can repair the damage so she can have a normal life.

G

·
I'am glad to read, that the beautiful girl get the treatment's she just need, she a realy beautiful girl to see 8)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Awww, what a sweet looking girl! I'm glad that she will get the treatment she needs! Good thoughts for CoCo. (And thank you and everyone else who is helping to take care of her)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Aww...Thank you for the update I hope they are able to repair her hips so she can lead a relativley normal life from here on out. Do you need extra funds to cover the extra cost or have your received enough?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Wow, I wasn't aware of her, Dina. I hope everything goes smoothly for her surgery. I swear, no matter how many times I hear stories like this I still have to wonder "what is wrong with these people?!?".

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Prayers for a successful surgery and full recovery.

Poor girl...she deserves a wonderful life.

(was it her puppy or adult teeth that were knocked out?) :(

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
What a BEAUTIFUL girl she is ! I can tell from her face, just how sweet she is....... I would be furious with the past owners....... AND the clinic !! Poor girl....... we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers..... please keep us updated ?

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Thanks for the update. I hope she can get on with her surgery soon and have a chance at as normal a life as possible. She looks like a real delight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts