Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laika suffers on this moment a bit with: "coat heating", it's a common thing with a dogs with a dual layered coat. They get it after a swim, when the top coat dry's quicker as the first layer, so it builds up heat, and they suffer with a real itchy coat :(

So, no more swimming for a while :(

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
What about drying her off with towels and reducing most of the wetness?

That's what I do with Puff after she swims in the lake.

First, I tell her to shake, then I sling her Training Dummy to retrieve several times -- that also strips off a lot of water.

When she's no longer leaving a wet track across the tar/asphalt road, then I have her jump up on a picnic table (so I don't have to reach down so far). Then I towel her all over with a first bath towel and then repeat with a second dry one.

(I'm pretty sure Puff likes the being rubbed and towel dried better than the swimming.)

Works well for us.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, towell her off .. I never did it before with Laika, but it all started last spring (2008), then it was a little spot just above the tail, and now it is on her both side's :(

But .. I guess, we've put a lot off towells next time she's alloud to swim (on this moment, water is a no go area, even if it's a hard thing to stop her from doint it!) ;)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor Laika, you'll just have to find other ways to entertain her for a while. :)
In case of Laika, that's not a hard 'thing' todo. She's also 100% directed to me, and always pay attention, on whay i'am doing (maybe i throw some thing away, she can retrieve!) ;)

So, not able to swim, isnt fun .. But, she also has plenty of other 'things' to do :)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Is it hot spots? Oozey sores? I'm having a hard time picturing what you are describing.

If you are leaving her wet, and she's itchy, I'd venture that she may have a fungus or something in her coat, that would make her itchy.

I'd spray her down with a 75% apple cider vinegar spray after swimming...its worked for us!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem with dogs, who have a double layerd coat, is that if they have swimmed, the top layer dry's to quick, so the under layer stays wet, and starts to buildup heat. So, they get itchy and loses hair by bitting they do, if it is to itchy ;)

And youre right, it is the ideal way to create a hotspot ;)

And no, Laika doesnt have a hotspot on this moment :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I was a vet tech for 10 years and have owned Labradors for 33 years and I really don't know what you're talking about. Are you sure you don't have a dog that's allergic to something IN the water (like duck poop!)?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was a vet tech for 10 years and have owned Labradors for 33 years and I really don't know what you're talking about. Are you sure you don't have a dog that's allergic to something IN the water (like duck poop!)?
Nope, she's not allergic to something, she's already tested for that ;)

And if i read on the internet, and her some people, it is a common thing by dogs with a dual layered coat ;)

But, i also must say .. Laika is the first Labrador i have who's suffering on this issue :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts