Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know HOW THE HELL she is allowed to get away with this crap.

Today is the first day of the 5th month of the year. My coworker has already used every last MINUTE of sick leave, personal time, floating holiday time, and vacation... that she has until the end of the year... yeah.. the END OF DECEMBER... already... as in last month.

Soooooo... that means... she has to work 40 hrs per week every week for the next 7 months... or else... she goes Leave Without Pay.. thus reducing her full time status, which retroactively puts her in the negative for vacation (they take away a small portion of your vacation every time you have LWOP)... which means she'll have to be constantly "paying it back" and working .2 hrs here and .5 hrs there without pay to pay back the negative vacation. This means loads extra paperwork (for me and the boss) that we will have to do for the next 7 months.

I don't know HOW they allow her to do this EVERY FREAKING YEAR!!! I don't think you should be able to use the time before you've earned it if you have a history of going over... it's ridiculous and everytime the boss says they aren't going to allow it to happen, but yet.. the time comes and oh... they just sign off on it.

It's ridiculous... absolutely ridiculous. When the same happened to me... (when I went on the London trip and was gonna be gone for the first 2.5 weeks of the year)... I took LWOP then so I wouldn't have to worry about running out of vacation by the end of the year.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
How long has she been there? So does she make it a habit of being gone most of the time during the remainder of the year too?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She just completed her 3rd year in January.

Yes... she is habitually gone/sick/late for stupid reasons.

She moved 1.5 hrs away
She's changed her schedule so many times now I can't even keep track of when she's supposed to be here or not, given up on scheduling any meetings around her schedules.
She had a baby and she and her baby are CONSTANTLY SICK... or going to see a doctor for whatever reason (and of course, a checkup means she has to take the entire day off work)... nevermind her husband works in the city they live in and his parents are down the street and they could totally take the baby to the appointments.

And she's just late... sick.. going home early... coming in late... leaves for an hour everyday for lunch... ALL THE TIME

She doesn't take vacations... she's just always gone.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Gee that is very odd!! I wonder what her life is really like outside of work if she is constantly gone... I mean what is she doing?

The boss needs to do something about her though.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
regarese said:
What's the difference if she takes the LWOP at the beginning of the year like you did or now? I'm confused.
Because it creates extra paperwork... when I took LWOP... the negative vacation was taken from my beginning vacation balance... so I never went in the negative.

She took all her vacation already... which means she's at zero.... So when she takes off again (which I know she will)... she will start having negative vacation....

Week 1: she takes off -incurs negative vacation balance
Week 2: she works full time, but because she has a negative... we have to fill out additional paperwork that says she worked extra this week to pay back the negative vacation balance.

Rinse and repeat for the next 7 months. (because she doesn't take off for a few days at a time... she takes off on and off all year round)

It's just that when I did it... it was one sheet of extra paperwork (to explain what I was taking LWOP for). When she does it.. it's twice as much paperwork... EACH AND EVERY TIME SHE TAKES IT OFF (to explain why she went LWOP in the first place, and then the next period, how she is making it up).

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
People will only do what they can get away with. A good dose of unemployment will cure that.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It's amazing how poorly people plan the use of their vacation, sick time, floating holidays, etc. It got so bad at the bank I worked at in college that we literally had to schedule all time off in January for the rest of the year. Now you could usually change it, but it forced people to actually think ahead and plan their vacation time. The sucky by-product of people's incompetence was that if you couldn't change your time off, then you're stuck with days off you have you don't want and work days you want off. Yet another reason why I'll never work for a big company - I'll stick with self-employment.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sounds like my Who?Why? co-worker that got laid off last year finally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts