Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Honker weighs 15 Lbs plus, but you can do it 'lil girl ... fetchem-up, here!

Atta girl, Rem!

That picture was taken after Cappy and I hunted this morning. We quit at 8:00 am after an hour hunt with 1 Canada goose and 2 ducks.

Shortly after I had Cappy pose for the above pic, another Honker appeared out of nowhere and made the mistake of flying a bit too close. It responded to my calling and durned if we didn't end up with a 2nd one.

Since I've been hunting alone alot lately, I've been alternating the dawgs. Just before we get to the garage on our home property, and somewhere along the 700' driveway, I'll place one of that morning's birds for the dawg that didn't get to hunt to find. After we unload, bring that 2nd dawg out, align them at my left heel and send them on a blind search.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Just before we get to the garage on our home property, and somewhere along the 700' driveway, I'll place one of that morning's birds for the dawg that didn't get to hunt to find. After we unload, bring that 2nd dawg out, align them at my left heel and send them on a blind search.
What a great idea!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Nice day for you and Remi! But the best part of the story is how you do your best to take care of both dogs and make sure they get their time.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
einsteins legacy said:
Do you ever have a no catch day?? Always seems like a successful hunt!!
We maintain a log that includes data for each day that we hunt including:

Date, location hunted, starting time, quit time, temp, sky (cldy etc) wind direction & speed, moon phase, who hunted, which dawgs hunted, what number and species of waterfowl were bagged, retrieves by dawg, and season-to-date data. It's maintained in an Excel spreadsheet program that is dynamic, in other words some of the data is updated and totals, percentages days remaining in season, etc are automatically changed.

Just for you I went back and looked at this season's totals so far:

Total length of Season in days: 84
Elapsed days of season to date: 66
Days remaining: 18
Days hunted: 57
Days didn't hunt: 9
Number of birds harvested: 140
Cappy Retrieves: 78
Remi Retrieves: 54
Other Dawg Retrieves: 8
Average birds/hunt: 2.46
Average hunt duration: 81 minutes
Number of days SKUNKED: 9 of 57 15.79%

I've maintained a Log for Cappy since his first season in 1999.

These are his personal totals:

Cappy's Career Duck Season Totals

'99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08
134 110 54 98 102 *39 122 53 54 78

Career Avg.
Total

844 84.4

* 2004 was an abbreviated hunting season for us due to our move to TX.

Cappy started his first season in Oct of 1999 when he was 10 months old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.