Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No pictures yet (camera batteries dead).

My goodness. I can see that if poor Clover had been left in her current situation, she may well have ended up being turned over to animal control/pound.

Clover is 1.5 years old and still being fed Puppy Chow
Clover was sent to a professional field trainer at 6 months old for two months and never paid any attention to since.
Clover continuously runs away, and in February was hit by a car. Has plates, pins and screws in her front left leg.
Clover has bit/mouthy issues. (Well, runs her teeth over your arm when excited or does not like what you are doing)
Clover barks and howls in her crate when I take the other dogs out.
Clover pulls like a freight train
Clover HATES you reaching for her collar and flops down in a tantrum like protest.
Clover counter surfs right in front of you. Has no concept that is forbidden
Clover will be like trying to train a bumble bee or butterfly. She can not be still for a micro-second
Clover fence fights (tries to provoke my dogs in their ex-pens.
Clover (according to her owners does pee and poop in the house...sigh WHAT IS IT with these 1-2 year old dogs that are not house broken???)
Her owners exercised her by roading her. No wonder she got hit by a car

Most importantly, Clover IS a SWEET dog. She has miles to go. My goal for the next two months is to put a CGC on her in August....Hehehehehehehe

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Karen, you are a wonderful person. It sounds as though Clover was never taught which puppy behaviours were allowed and which ones weren't. Poor girl. I love her name!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor baby girl, it makes me so sad. BUT THRILLED that she's with you now! So what's the deal, are you keeping her or is she being returned after she's trained?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor baby girl, it makes me so sad. BUT THRILLED that she's with you now! So what's the deal, are you keeping her or is she being returned after she's trained?
Not sure how that is going to come off. As is, no one in the family wants the dog. With four young kids (now afraid of the dog) I can understand. The father of the wife ("W") (who is paying for the training) said an "indefinite" amount of time for training. I told him I would take the dog forever if that is the way it plays out. I met the wife ("E") yesterday and she really is a nice person, but obviously has a lot to deal with at this point and was more than happy to see Clover go away for quite a while. "W" is a very generous person and I think would have no problem with me having the dog if "E" (his daughter) ends up not wanting her or cannot take her. Living conditions are not in question, these people have hundreds of acres of land and extremely large (read mansion-like) houses. ("W" and "E" are the wealthy side of the family).

I am hoping that if I can have Clover for at least 6 months, things will be significantly different all the way around. I do not want to deny Clover a nice family, but right now that is not her home with "E". Clover will be a controllable dog and the family home life will have settled down. "E" does not have to work (ever). (Ya, I am looking at the world through rose colored glasses right now!..that I have her)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I told him I would take the dog forever if that is the way it plays out.
That's all I needed to read. Yep, she's yours. :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That poor pup! No wonder she's uncontrollable!

Champ was trained but then his family never followed up on his training, either. Do these people expect the dogs to keep themselves trained, when they have no guidance, discipline, or rules? ARGH!!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Sounds like Clover is a lucky girl to end up with you. Best of luck to both of you. Can't wait for the pictures. :)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Sounds a whole lot like Diesel when we got him - except he was just 6 months old.

Good luck - she sounds like a real challenge - should be very gratifying when you bring her around as I am very sure you will.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts