Just Labradors banner

Closing Gitmo

1K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  Dad of Toby 
#1 ·
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama began overhauling U.S. treatment of terror suspects Thursday, signing orders to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center, shut down secret overseas CIA prisons, review military war crimes trials and ban the harshest interrogation methods.

With his action, Obama started changing how the United States prosecutes and questions al-Qaida, Taliban or other foreign fighters who pose a threat to Americans — and overhauling America's image abroad, battered by accusations of the use of torture and the indefinite detention of suspects at the Guantanamo prison in Cuba.

"The message that we are sending the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism and we are going to do so vigilantly and we are going to do so effectively and we are going to do so in a manner that is consistent with our values and our ideals," the president said.

The centerpiece order would close the much-maligned Guantanamo facility within a year, a complicated process with many unanswered questions that was nonetheless a key campaign promise of Obama's. The administration already has suspended trials for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals.

In the other actions, Obama:

_Created a task force to recommend policies on handling terror suspects who are detained in the future. Specifically, the group would look at where those detainees should be housed since Guantanamo is closing.

_Required all U.S. personnel to follow the U.S. Army Field Manual while interrogating detainees. The manual explicitly prohibits threats, coercion, physical abuse and waterboarding, a technique that creates the sensation of drowning and has been termed a form of torture by critics. However, a Capitol Hill aide says that the administration also is planning a study of more aggressive interrogation methods that could be added to the Army manual — which would create a significant loophole to Obama's action Thursday.

"We believe that the Army Field Manual reflects the best judgment of our military, that we can abide by a rule that says we don't torture, but that we can still effectively obtain the intelligence that we need," Obama said. He said his action reflects an understanding that "we are willing to observe core standards of conduct, not just when it's easy, but also when it's hard."

See less See more
#3 ·
I can see changing inetrrogation methods, but closing prisons where they house suspected terrorists? Bad move. But it sounds like there will be loopholes in the new policy, "However, a Capitol Hill aide says that the administration also is planning a study of more aggressive interrogation methods that could be added to the Army manual — which would create a significant loophole to Obama's action Thursday." So if it is more aggressive, wouldn't that mean it is worse than what is in place now?

G
#7 ·
myfavoritedog said:
I can see changing inetrrogation methods, but closing prisons where they house suspected terrorists? Bad move. But it sounds like there will be loopholes in the new policy, "However, a Capitol Hill aide says that the administration also is planning a study of more aggressive interrogation methods that could be added to the Army manual — which would create a significant loophole to Obama's action Thursday." So if it is more aggressive, wouldn't that mean it is worse than what is in place now?
ditto.

#8 ·
dweck said:
I am waiting to hear the President's plan for weeding through those GitMo detainees and what he plans to do with the truly evil people there and those who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
They are not bad people.......sure they want to blow us up......but besides that they are mostly just mis-understood......and really being americans we kinda deserve it don't we?

#9 ·
Obama administration officials agree that certain Al Qaeda suspects at Guantánamo should be tried in federal or regular military courts rather than the special military commissions set up under President Bush. And they agree that many of the remaining 245 detainees can be returned to their home countries for release or further detention.

But there is less agreement over what to do with a potential third category of detainees – an uncertain number of terror suspects whose cases do not lend themselves to prosecution in civilian or military courts but who are viewed as too dangerous to release.

G
#11 ·
gundogpa said:
dweck said:
I am waiting to hear the President's plan for weeding through those GitMo detainees and what he plans to do with the truly evil people there and those who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
They are not bad people.......sure they want to blow us up......but besides that they are mostly just mis-understood......and really being americans we kinda deserve it don't we?
WHAT??? WHAT??? I'm going back to sleep, I'm dreaming right now or I should say having a nightmare, are you serious...did you not see what happened on 9/11, well I sure has HELL did and I lost people I knew...don't give me this, "they just want to blow us up, but they're mostly misunderstood, you're joking, right? :suspious:

#14 ·
Tundra Aries said:
gundogpa said:
dweck said:
WHAT??? WHAT??? I'm going back to sleep, I'm dreaming right now or I should say having a nightmare, are you serious...did you not see what happened on 9/11, well I sure has HELL did and I lost people I knew...don't give me this, "they just want to blow us up, but they're mostly misunderstood, you're joking, right? :suspious:
Methinks that GDP's tongue was clearly in his cheek, RG.

GitMo is kinda like Shawshank, I imagine. Everyone there is innocent. Just ask.....

G
#15 ·
dweck said:
Tundra Aries said:
gundogpa said:
dweck said:
Methinks that GDP's tongue was clearly in his cheek, RG.

GitMo is kinda like Shawshank, I imagine. Everyone there is innocent. Just ask.....
Ooooooh...then that makes sense then :whistle:

#16 ·
Tundra Aries said:
gundogpa said:
dweck said:

Sorry....should have been a little more sacrastic. ;)

G
#18 ·
gundogpa said:
Tundra Aries said:
gundogpa said:
dweck said:

Sorry....should have been a little more sacrastic. ;)
:laugh: :laugh: I was sooo hoping you were, didn't see any laughing faces and got confused, see I'm hormonal, I need to stay out of these threads already :laugh:

#20 ·
Turn them all loose and we can hold hands and sing:

I turn on the news and see troubles, what's all this fighting for, why can't we try living together, and have a world where everybody wins, nobody suffers, each soul on earth should be cherished, no more or less in God's eyes, my brothers, my sisters, I know if we try, we can live together, under God's sky,

1st chorus: God bless the world, not just America, God bless the whole wide world so our kids can live in harmony
(God bless the world)

Look into the hearts of the children, you can see the future in their eyes, it's up to us to reassure them, that the world will be a brighter place when we realize, Peace is the answer, the solution, I pray someday that we'll see, then no more war, no fighting, no killing, no hate, it's got to change, and it starts with you and me, I'm praying,

chorus: God bless the world, not just America, God bless the whole wide world, so we can live in Peace, God bless the world, while you bless America, no more hatred, war or greed, so our kids can live in harmony...(Harmony-God bless the world) for the children (kids) God bless us, God bless us, Every man, woman, boy or girl, everybody all across the world..God bless us, God bless us, together we can change the land, we've got the whole world in our hands.

#24 ·
gundogpa said:
Jan said:
Oh Lord, I trust there are some Americans who understand the travesty of justice of imprisoning people without charges, of torture. This is very discouraging to hear these responses. Is the world so black and white that you cannot see this :(
I think folks who think like you should let them live in your neighborhoods. ;)
You're not so foolish as to think that these individuals will simply be set loose? Doesn't your media explain these things? What is hoped for (by me at least) is due legal process.

G
#25 ·
MidwestGirl said:
Jan said:
Oh Lord, I trust there are some Americans who understand the travesty of justice of imprisoning people without charges, of torture. This is very discouraging to hear these responses. Is the world so black and white that you cannot see this :(
NO, I understand it's not just black and white.
She never said anything about black and white :no:

#26 ·
Jan said:
gundogpa said:
Jan said:
I think folks who think like you should let them live in your neighborhoods. ;)
You're not so foolish as to think that these individuals will simply be set loose? Doesn't your media explain these things? What is hoped for (by me at least) is due legal process.
Our economy is already in the shitter... Why should we spend tax payers dollars to give these assholes fair treatment when they want to kill us?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.