Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night the dogs barked at something, I told them to shush and then a few minutes later saw a bear run through the yard into the woods. The next day I found this. He was back the next night and tore down only one bird feeder but upset my birdbath. He or them have been here four times in the last two weeks. I do not fill my bird feeders at this time of year. I know what happens so they have been empty for a while. I think he smelled the burgers on the grill. Sorry I didn't get a picture of him, just the evidence.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Holy crap! Did you report it to your Dept. of Natural Resources, or Game Commission, or whatever you have there? I'd be worried for the dogs and afraid that he'd try to get in the house since he smelled food on the grill!!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I would keep a rifle loaded and at hand (if you have no small children that is).

It is spring and I wonder if you have a momma trying to find enough food so she can nurse her young.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Glad your dogs weren't out and in the way of the bear. I've been keeping a watch for our bear. So far there hasn't been any sign of it.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have them all the time and we don't report them to the Game Commission. Our land is adjacent to the State Game Lands. They would tell us the bear lived there first! They actually don't do anything unless it becomes a nuisance. We are very careful not to leave garbage or pet food or bird seed out where it attracks them. We can even be fined for that, which I agree with. People don't realize it only hurts the bears. I do carry my gun when I'm walking in the woods with the dogs. Luckily when they've seen one, they bark at it but don't chase it. Willy started to chase one out of the yard last summer but when I called him he came back to me. That bear was scared and I'm glad. If it tried to hurt one of the dogs, I'd beat it with a stick, or I guess shoot it!

·
Registered
460 Posts
whoa that is one BIG footprint!

I'm glad the dogs were not out....I know my goofballs would probably chase it.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We have them all the time and we don't report them to the Game Commission. Our land is adjacent to the State Game Lands. They would tell us the bear lived there first! They actually don't do anything unless it becomes a nuisance. We are very careful not to leave garbage or pet food or bird seed out where it attracks them. We can even be fined for that, which I agree with. People don't realize it only hurts the bears. I do carry my gun when I'm walking in the woods with the dogs. Luckily when they've seen one, they bark at it but don't chase it. Willy started to chase one out of the yard last summer but when I called him he came back to me. That bear was scared and I'm glad. If it tried to hurt one of the dogs, I'd beat it with a stick, or I guess shoot it!
Very wise advice above.

People need to realize that bears are usually afraid of people as much as people are afraid of them. If you let them be, they will wander off. (This of course depends on whether you're wearing meatloaf cologne) However if a dog or person tries to corner a bear they will fight back. Keep nothing out that bears are interested in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts