Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning Puff and I were walking on a "land bridge" separating a pond from a marsh.

All at once. a small black & white furred animal (a skunk!) emerged from bushes along the side and scurried on ahead of us down the trail.

Puff immediately gave chase with me yelling "Leave it!!" "COME!!" "LEAVE IT!!" "COME!!" Finally she did.

It's time to start recharging Puff's Dogtra e-collar and having her wear it -- and to find where I've put the bottles of "SKUNK-OFF!" that removes skunk odor.

Whew! Lucky!!!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good job putting a scare into Dad, Puff. We all know you wouldn't have gotten too close to Mr. Skunky.

·
Registered
457 Posts
we were camping last summer and the skunks and raccoons at the state park had been hand fed practically so every 30 mins or so here they came and we had 2 labs and a cocker so it was a real treat to grab collars every few mins ................luckily nobody got close enough to need skunk off although we chased quite a few off .....................not the best camping trip we've ever been on..........

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Oh, man, that was close! We have a skunk that lives in the hay barn- Jane got a shot off at it but missed. Toby likes to dig in the hay looking for it and comes back with a faint stinky smell...

Lucy

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh my gosh!

I am always afraid of recall failure in instances like this. I have seen Simon chase a squirrel in the backyard, and all I can say is thank goodness it's fenced. Deaf ears, for sure. Thank goodness she came back! Good girl Puff!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Lucky for you Bob, that Puff listened & did not continue the chase.

Thankfully, I've only seen skunks a few times on our walks. Lexi has never tried to chase them, but she is on lead so she'd not make it too far. Every once in a blue moon, I notice the linger ordor of one in our neighbor & yard, that is when I get paranoid. I do not relish the day, should it ever come, that she gets into a tangle with one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bob has learned that the world is a training ground and it is always better to be prepared to train. Puff learned she can get away with not coming on the first call, or the second call, or the 3rd call...but maybe the 4th is pushing it..
There is no reason not to have the E-collar on the dog when you go out. Just as there is no reason not to wear a seatbelt. Both can prevent injury and death.
I am really glad Puff came back before she got to the skunk..lol would have been an unpleasant ride home...lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts