Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You can clone all you want, but the environmental factors WILL NOT be the same. Therefore, in spite of the DNA being the same, it just will not be the same dog. I absolutely adored my first labrador. She was more like a daughter to me. I wouldn't clone her for any amount of money because I will never again have the time and energy to do with another what I did with her. I hope these people aren't disappointed if this pup doesn't fill the shoes of their previous dog. :whatever:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
But you know, on the other hand, I was thinking about this the other day:

What if I had an opportunity to start over fresh with Angus? Genetically the same dog. But this time, he would be properly socialized. He would be exposed early to all the things that make him afraid now. Would I be able to correct all the flaws and end up with only the most positive expression of Angus: A wicked-smart dog who is also well-balanced. ?

OR, if I was able to "fix" some of the things that went wrong early on for him, would that make the puppy so different that it wouldn't even seem like Angus anymore?

Not saying I would spend $150K to clone Angus. I'm just saying it's really interesting to think about the possibilities of what it would mean to be able to have a do-over.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
It's sad.... You shouldn't mess around with nature. There is only one soul (and body) of each creature on this earth. That dog won't be the same as the other one on the inside....

I also think there will develop medical issues down the road with cloning.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
DH had the best take on this IMO. While this was on TV he looked over at me and in all seriousness said "why clone a lab", "don't they all pretty much have the same personality"!! What a ding dong, this from someone who has only had one lab (Sammi) and now thinks they are all the best and only dog a person should ever own!! Got a love him :laugh: Although he maybe right!! :happy: Regarding the OP, I think each pup has their own little quirks and that's what makes each and everyone of them so special!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
ruff n tumble crew said:
You can clone all you want, but the environmental factors WILL NOT be the same. Therefore, in spite of the DNA being the same, it just will not be the same dog. I absolutely adored my first labrador. She was more like a daughter to me. I wouldn't clone her for any amount of money because I will never again have the time and energy to do with another what I did with her. I hope these people aren't disappointed if this pup doesn't fill the shoes of their previous dog. :whatever:
I agree with this ;)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I usually avoid posting on these types of threads but O'll make an exception on this one. CNN was conducting a "what do you think" poll regarding this same subject on Tuesday. Without intending to sound overly pragmatic ...

The lady can obviously afford it and apparently wants to try to re-create her dog. Why do others feel that they should criticize her for doing whatever she wishes to do with her own money as long as it's legal and doesn't hurt anyone else? :whatever:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
BoatDog said:
Jim - that was my take - her $$ - but I'd still like to see rescue end up with 1/2 that workable cash for all the good they do!
I totally understand your feelings. But if the lady wants to spend $150K of her own money "foolishy", why not let her do it without comment. Then ... as long as she apparently has plenty of cash, ask her if she would consider an additional donation to a rescue? :happy: Just because others seem to be well off financially, it's improper (IMO) to suggest what they should do with their "surplus".

I didn't inherit or marry into money. I worked a lifetime to be able to afford to pay cash for 132 acres of land and construct a 3,000 sf home to retire in. Then Carol and spent over $65K to "dig holes in the ground" (as some people describe them) to build wetlands for dawg training and duck hunting.

Someone on an un-named website had the audacity, after learning what we spent on the wetlands, to tell me that "since you have that much money, why don't you be a little more generous and give some of it to worthwhile causes and charities?"

I suggested that they go commit a physically impossible act with themself and mind their own danged business. Guess that's why I responded to this thread in the first place ... still a little chapped in the saddle.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
...about donating:

''I give a lot of money to the [tri-County] Humane Society in Palm Beach County,'' Ed Otto said.

Indeed, said the no-kill shelter's founder and CEO, Jeannette Christos, the Ottos have given her shelter almost twice what their new puppy cost.

''When the new building goes up, their name will be on parts of it,'' she said. Ed ``has a big plaque in our lobby, and he bought us a new van.''
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/v-fullstory/story/875482.html

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yeah, I agree...there are things I spend my money on that many would consider foolish, but it's my money, I earned it, and it's my choice how to spend it.

Kevin and I don't even give each other any grief over how the other spends money. I would personally not pay $100 green fees to play golf, but hey, whatever, it's your money! He would never spend $75 on a bag of dog food or drop hundreds on plants for the yard, but my money!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I think when you get yourself on the news (and on MANY programs) you invite public criticism. If they did not want the publicity, they surely could have avoided it. That couple is fair game.

While I don't agree with cloning dogs at all for any reason - they are free to spend their money however they want. It is nice that they DO support the humane society there - but even if they didn't, they have every right to spend their money anyway they want.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
The "original" dog died of cancer. So this one will too, no? I wouldn't want to know what's looming down the road with a new pup. Or any dog for that matter. :(

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
the science part intrigues me, though.. we all speculate that it won't be the same dog, that it'll be too different to compare.. but we don't KNOW that for sure.. wouldn't this be a good way to find out? *shrugs*

I don't have any sort of ethical problem with this.. but there may be some emotional disappointment.. i'd like to know in the coming years how it turns out, though.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I am not judging but I believe that these people were taken for a ride.

I don't know what they told this woman, but her comment about him 'knowing' all the other animals in the house was ridiculous. That and the fact that the puppy has a zipper, and the old Lancelot does not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.