Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok now i've been teaching lola to come with the clicker now the issue i have is when to click. now do i click when i saw come then click as shes moving or come and click when shes about half way over to me or , say come a click when shes gets to me. which one is better

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
You click as soon as the dog does what you want them to do. When you say sit, click as soon as the butt hits the ground. IF you are teaching watch me, click as soon as the dog makes eye contact etc. With the come command I would click once she gets to you so she knows that come means front.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok because i've been doing it when i say come and right as she starts moving forward i click then i wait till she get to me when i treat. so i wanna which way is the proper way. so i'll try the way your saying anymore more advice will be helpful

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Just remember that the clicker replaces your voice. The idea is that the clicker provides more instantaneous reinforcement. When calling a dog you wouldn't treat and praise when they start coming, but would treat and praise when they got to you. You want your dog to know that come or here (whatever command you choose) means that they come to you, not just leave there spot. So I would click once they got to you and then treat. I am assuming you are still treating after clicking?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
That is what I would do because I'd want to make sure they realized the idea of come is to actually get to you. But when I was reading the info. on the clicker site it said to click just for coming in the right direction. I guess you need to decide. I can only tell you what I would do.

Have the 2 of you been in any obedience classes yet?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Eventually, you will click for the finished product (which, for me, is to come and sit in front of me) but in order to get there, you have some intermediary steps.

What dakkerdog is talking about is shaping - taking increments and approximations of what you want, gradually moving towards perfection.

So, for come: Start with the puppy a few feet away. Call her name, and if she takes a step toward you, THEN say come (as she steps toward you), click and treat. Build up to her farther and farther away, saying her name, then when she looks at you, "come", moves toward you 'click' and treat when she gets to you. Delay the click each time until you are waiting till she's right at your feet before c/t.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
How old is she? Short sessions throughout the day are better than one long session.. I usually work my 10 mo no more than 10 minutes at a time.. usually its closer to 5 minutes.

Hard to say 'how long it takes' for any dog.. there are too many variables.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kaytris said:
How old is she? Short sessions throughout the day are better than one long session.. I usually work my 10 mo no more than 10 minutes at a time.. usually its closer to 5 minutes.

Hard to say 'how long it takes' for any dog.. there are too many variables.
shes 7 months. so 5-10 mins each day but how many times in a day?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
there's no hard or fast rule for any of this... Sophie gets 4 or 5 sessions a day at least (this includes making her work for her dinner, she usually has to do three or four repetitions of whatever we're working on before I put her meal down, plus we work during our walks and out in the yard.). Kaylie was on a lighter, but similar, routine when I first got her. Tristan couldn't handle that much, even younger, but he is a)slower and b)has joint issues.

Try things out, see what works best for you and your dog.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If you have another person to work with you, here is another way to improve the drive on the recall. Have 1 person hold your puppy, but show the puppy a treat and then start running the opposite direction. Get 10ft away or so and call the puppy. In the meantime the other person is restraining the puppy from going forward until you call. Once the puppy gets to you, click and treat or just treat. Make sure you decide what your recall word will be and use it consistently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts