Registered
1,326 Posts
OMG why do I keep opening these lol. Good luck with all those freaky things. :p

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charla said:
OH MY GOD!!! That's so freaky!!! How long will there be THAT many? Will they harm your plants?
They claim that the plants won't be harmed. The advice is to put tulle or netting over young trees, but even then not everyone is saying that. *shrugs I did nothing. I think they are here through June.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Yuck. yuck. Seriously, yuck.

:-X

I think I have a flying insect phobia.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
*whines* ewww!!

I bet your dogs are going to love their crunch new snacks :p

·
Registered
638 Posts
CindersMyGirl --

They WILL harm your trees. ALL your trees, a few weeks after they are gone, will have the last foot or two of the branches dead, leaves brown, and falling off.

The Cicadas have some "tool" in their abdomen which puts slits in branches that are about 1/4" in diameter, and then they insert their eggs. The slits they put in are in a row, like every 1/2 inch or so, maybe 10 slits or so long (if I remember correctly), sort of like this:

___ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____

These "egg slits," then, end up in most cases killing the branches. Again, the branches they use are small in diameter, so any mature tree just loses tips of branches and then they end up fine. Small trees, though, might be injured more seriously...

Steve

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
OHHHHHHHHHH WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.... HOW BEAUTIFUL. OHHHHHHHH......

I am so envious. You got some great shots. Can you see them coming out of the ground? Can you see them crawl onto the plants before emerging? I wonder what that looks like. THIS IS FANTASTIC!

What does the ground look like? That must be awesome for aerating a lawn.

Do have video with sound to hear them? Do they stay on the plants... or do they get on the streets and sidewalks?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...... and I forgot to say.....

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
This is SPECTACULAR. I can't stop looking. WOWWWWWWWW.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... I WANT to catch a plane right now and see it for myself.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shanna said:
Can you see them coming out of the ground?
Sometimes
Shanna said:
Can you see them crawl onto the plants before emerging?
I haven't yet
Shanna said:
Do have video with sound to hear them?
The sound isn't really loud yet, but when it gets loud and when we have a ton I'll take video and post it for you ;D
Shanna said:
Do they stay on the plants... or do they get on the streets and sidewalks?
They get everywhere. They're not that bad yet, but last time I remember walking on the sidewalk hearing them crunch, crunch, crunch and sometimes you would step on a live one and sliiiiide.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Shanna said:
Do have video with sound to hear them?
They get horribly loud. It is one hell of a racket. A cacophony of insect mating song.

Shanna said:
This is SPECTACULAR. I can't stop looking. WOWWWWWWWW.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... I WANT to catch a plane right now and see it for myself.
I've got a guest room but you'd have to make your own breakfast.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Fantastic pictures.

Here's what I see in the first one (tilt your head to the left and look at it sideways).
A doll wearing Jacki-O sunglasses, a decorated headband, scarf over her face to protect it from the sun, a frilly little yellow organza jacket (see her little hands at the end of the sleeves?) and a peg skirt. And she's standing on a pedestal.

J

·
0 Posts
Ewww I hate those things. They were around here about 3 years ago when I got married. People were running from the church to their cars!

B

·
0 Posts
Ok...I have the overwhelming urge to grate my teeth together and just shriek. The hair on the back of my neck is standing up.

*hurk*

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
We have never had lots at a time here. We have a few each year. But ours don't have red eyes. I looked this picture up on the net, this is what the ones around here look like.

That would be so cool to have so many at once. I've always loved the little buggers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts