Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who goes? Does your church add extra services for the expected extra guests? Do they move to a larger facility?

My aunt's church in Evansville has their Easter services at Roberts Stadium. :eek:

We added a 4th service to our regular 3. Even with that though I know it's still going to be packed. It's hard for us to get seats on a regular Sunday. I picture us pulling in chairs from a nearby classroom and sitting along a back wall. (We've actually had to do that before - and not even on Easter!)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am ashamed to say that I do not go to church. I need to find one that I feel comfortable in, and go.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Who goes? Does your church add extra services for the expected extra guests? Do they move to a larger facility?

My aunt's church in Evansville has their Easter services at Roberts Stadium. :eek:

We added a 4th service to our regular 3. Even with that though I know it's still going to be packed. It's hard for us to get seats on a regular Sunday. I picture us pulling in chairs from a nearby classroom and sitting along a back wall. (We've actually had to do that before - and not even on Easter!)
I usually go home and go to my parents' church. They used to hold it in a larger facility, but since then they have built a larger building and now add an extra service (for a total of 5 - normal one on Saturday and the normal 3 plus an extra on Sunday). Still, the middle service usually is filled past capacity and they have to pull in extra seats. Typical Easter weekend will see about 3,000 - 3,500 people roll through the all the services combined.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Between Saturday and Sunday, we will celebrate the Resurrection a total of EIGHT times, using our church and a tent that is set up on the lawn outside.

- Vigil Mass in Church Sat night: 7PM
- Sun Mass at Sunrise in the tent: 6:30A
- Sun Mass in Church 7:30A
- Sun Mass in Tent: 9A
- Sun Mass in Church: 9A
- Sun Mass in Tent: 10:30A
- Sun Mass in Church: 10:30A
- Sun Mass in Church: Noon

Of these eight, I'll be on the bench supplying music for four of them.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Grace Cathedral has Good Friday services that evening followed by Easter Vigil (Saturday Evening) plus the standard two services Easter morning. It's big enough to hold everyone and there's abundant space to put up several hundred folding chairs when needed.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I belong to a new church...we fully launched our first services in January 2008. We have a fair number in attendance on Sundays for how young we are (usually 150-200) but no, for Easter we don't hold more than one service yet. We haven't quite figured out the whole multiple service thing yet, because we meet in a movie theatre and only have a limited time to get things going on Sunday mornings as it is.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Between Saturday and Sunday, we will celebrate the Resurrection a total of EIGHT times, using our church and a tent that is set up on the lawn outside.

- Vigil Mass in Church Sat night: 7PM
- Sun Mass at Sunrise in the tent: 6:30A
- Sun Mass in Church 7:30A
- Sun Mass in Tent: 9A
- Sun Mass in Church: 9A
- Sun Mass in Tent: 10:30A
- Sun Mass in Church: 10:30A
- Sun Mass in Church: Noon

Of these eight, I'll be on the bench supplying music for four of them.
Okay, Dan what parish do you belong to that you have THAT many masses??

My parish will have a total of four (4):

Saturday

7:30 p.m. Easter Vigil Mass (this is the one were our RCIA candidates will receive their sacraments) aka the marathon mass, as it usually runs 2 hours.

Sunday
8:00 am
10:00 am
12:00 noon

No extra masses to accomodate the "CEWBFs" but I will be working parking lot duty for the 8:00 am 12:00 noon.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
We move outside and use the lawn at the church. Actually it is set up on a gentle slope so it makes a nice amphitheater. They supply some folding chairs but most people bring there own. We could accommodate everyone inside but it is spring and the weather is so nice in Phoenix that everyone enjoys the services outside in the sunshine. It started when the church was too small to hold the extra people but a new sanctuary was built so that problem was solved.

But if it should rain (it might on Sat) be too cold for the young and the old or windy we will move inside. No extra services as we always have a Saturday night service and a 7am service Sunday plus the 10:30am service.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
it is spring and the weather is so nice in Phoenix that everyone enjoys the services outside in the sunshine.
Our sunrise Mass last year, had snow flurries!

Someone also figured out that it was colder on Easter Sunday Morning than it was on Christmas Eve!!!!!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
no church here. SU has started to go and he might go Easter. i don't know.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I do not attend services however, we are having Maundy Thursday service tonight, tomorrow night is Good Friday service, then Sunrise service at 7:30 Sunday and regular service at 9:15. Whew I have 3 more bulletins to print tomorrow for this weekend.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have a 6pm Saturday service and services at 9:30 and 11 on Sunday morning. For Easter, they're adding an 8am Sunday service. They highly recommend last week that we try to come to the 8 as they anticipate the other two Sunday services to be the worst. I just don't have it in me to be up, ready and at church that early. We barely get ourselves together for the 11!

We usually have about 1800 over our 3 weekend services. We typically hit 3,000 easily on Easter.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
We had a special service last Sunday evening that was about Passover and how it correlates to the Resurrection. Friday evening service will be at 6:30, two Sunday morning services--one at 9:30 and one at 11am. They have asked all members to park in a neighborhood school and they will have shuttle buses for us.
Planning on going to the 9:30 service with DD. (if she crawls out of bed on time!) Also hoping that DS will also go with me, but he has to work--I just don't know what hours he is available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts