Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home at 11:30 PM.

Millie called this morning, asking if I'd be interested in going to a dance with her at a local VFW post -- she has a friend who'd sign us in as guests and there'd be a good band.

I said "Yes" and picked her up at 6 (she said the paper listed the dance starting at 6:30).

So, we got there early and found the dance started at 8 PM. That left a lot of time to talk so we spent most of it with me sketching out her genogram (kind of a family tree) on a sheet of paper and that will greatly help me understand and appreciate her (and also remember various names).

The band was great -- not my MOST favorite but close enough -- and so good I decided to join the VFW because they have dances at least once a week. I filled out an application to become a life member and will take my discharge papers and check by tomorrow afternoon. (I'd recently also joined the American Legion after they sent me an invitation because some of their posts in Topeka and Lawrence have weekly dances, too.) And Millie has recently joined the local Moose club so, between that, the AL, and the VFW, plus the seniors' dance Sunday evenings in Lawrence, some weeks we may be able to dance 3-4X.

Ever since I've switched churches to the cathedral, I've felt grumpy about missing dancing Thursday evenings because of choir practice that night. But I also LOVE our choir -- we sing such great music (e.g., the Fauré Requiem and a Mozart Missa Brevis during upcoming Holy Week) -- but really miss the dancing. Suddenly, this more than makes up for the missed dancing that night.

We danced until 11:15.

Millie is willing to dance 2-5X/week usually and, although I'm not anywhere near as good as she is, Millie says she does like dancing with me ('I've got great rhythm and lead very well' :smile:), so suddenly a marvellous door has opened for a lot more dancing. As she remarked when I took her home, the dancing is great for itself and, if something else should happen, sobeit. I agree -- sounds all win, no lose, to me.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't believe you sketched her genogram.
?? Why ?? Family is important to people and I remember people's names and relationships so much better whenever I do that.

M. (Mildred) was 6th of 7 kids, 3 older ones deceased; not very close to any of her late husband's family. He (Don) died 2+ years ago of cancer. M. has 2 married daughters, Cheryl/Darren & Jeanie/Rick, 2 grand kids, Mitch (financial svcs) & David (about to start dental school). Also raised Sheila, the daughter of her oldest sister after her death, through HS and college and is still close with her and concerned about her recovery from recent breast cancer treatment, etc., etc., etc.

FWIW, I just checked the calendar section in yesterday's paper and it reads:

Philip Billard VFW Post No. 1650
Ed Thompson Band, 8 PM tonight,
$4; Good Ole Boys Band, 7 PM
Wednesday, $3. Members and
their guests.

So glad all the planets were aligned such that Millie misread it :smile: Gave us time to talk.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
No I get the motivation, I've just always reserved genograms for the clinical setting. Preferring instead in a personal setting to go about learning about family in a more casual, as-it-comes kind of way.

But hey, different strokes, right? :D

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I took papers from my 2X in the Army along with my application to the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) and a check to our local post today; they were reviewed, photocopied, and accepted.

So I'm now a full-fledged, legit member.

The VFW officers encouraged me to attend monthly membership meetings but I have more than enough of that stuff with our cathedral choir, running our cathedral's Great Film series, our local sailing club, our national sailing group (the S2 6.7, 6.9 & 22 Class Association), the KU retired faculty (& associates of which I'm one) group, and managing other stuff.

Dancing there is enough for me.

But the VFW MIGHT/COULD be of some help in negotiating the VA maze for my getting a good hearing aid for my right ear -- my helmet was blown off my head and my hearing in that ear was seriously damaged by the explosion I was ordered to execute. Fortunately, I had sense enough to list it as a service-incurred injury at the time my discharge was processed so that's on the record.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Bob, I've been following your chronicles posts. I just want to say, Glad to see its working out better. I love the idea of learning about her family!!!! Sounds like you are going to be one busy gentleman!! Now, and you know i am kidding here, this is going back 8 1/2 years right??? Just remember one thing.............

A Tired BOB is a Good BOB!!!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BucksMom
Bob, I've been following your chronicles posts. I just want to say, Glad to see its working out better. I love the idea of learning about her family!!!! Sounds like you are going to be one busy gentleman!! Now, and you know i am kidding here, this is going back 8 1/2 years right??? Just remember one thing.............

A Tired BOB is a Good BOB!!!
:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

BucksMom is referring to a post I frequently repeat when people complain about their Labs chewing woodwork, getting into other troubles despite claiming they walk them around the block almost every day. That post is repeated below.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.