Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering (again) a puppy for next year (ish). Puppy fever comes and goes so it's not completely new for me, I seriously considered one last year, but it is coming back more regularly these days and I am ready for a change in my life (and clearly I am planning ahead, not a " i need a change now so I buy a puppy now and regret it type of thing).

Anyhoo, the point:
I will always have a lab I know that. But I am seriously considering having my next pup be...an australian cattle dog. I fostered one for over 2mts last year and fell in love with the breed.

BUT...it's been a year, and I am questioning that thought now. Am I REALLY ready for the intensity of a cattle dog? I don't know anyone I can visit or dogsit for that has one. I never really liked border collies (not that they are bad dogs, just NOT for me) so was I really just in love with my foster? And I was able to get a break from him after two months, how could I handle having one for life and as a PUPPY?

How do I decide? heck even when I look within the breeds I am having a hard time finding the right breeder (I really need to get out and VISIT some breeders but it's not like I can just invite myself over LOL!)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
ACD's are beautiful dogs. My old neighbor had a heeler, and she was stunning, a red brindle. GORGEOUS.

She was also a little too over the top, that is in comparison to Rhys, who is WAYYYYY over the top, but she spun circles around him.

Definitely you should just invite yourself over.

Email or call several local breeders, and once you know them a bit better, ask if its ok if you come to see their dogs.

I had a local lady looking for a lab who is getting a pup from Barrie call to see if she could come and visit, so she knows what she's getting into. Most breeders will welcome you with open arms!

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thansk Melissa.

I am looking at BOTh right now. And honestly, I am looking for the same "type" of dog no matter the breed (though knowing the differences between the breeds as well).

Still reading into all the info/links you provided me.

I think the hardest part is making a decision without meeting more of the actual dogs. I need to get my ass to a competition or something and just MEET the dogs and breeders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts