Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought myself a lovely chocolate lab who will be 14 weeks on Tuesday. I have been training him from the word go (got him at 9 weeks) and he is a VERY fast learner, especially when a bit of roast chicken is on offer!

However, I have read here and there that chocolate labs are 'stupid'. Whilst I can understand the logic behind this (Black labs are favoured by the working dog community so are more likely to be bred to work, thereby having more 'intelligence' genes than those bred for show), I really don't think this is true of my Bilbo. Of course I'm looking through rose tinted glasses at my little cute baby, but SURELY learning 'sit' after 3 goes with the clicker and food at 9 weeks can't be 'stupid'?! I was extremely insulted when I took him to the vets for his second round of jabs and an old lady came up to me saying "Aww, isn't he darling?! I have a black lab in the car right now. The brown ones are a bit stupid though, aren't they?" As if I'd go "Yeah, my little Bilbo is thick as :censored:! What a dope he is...". Instead I laughed politely whilst a little volcano exploded in my brain :mad2:

Has anyone *actually* noticed this, if you have multiple labs of different colours, are the chocolate ones actually thicker? Of course there will be variation between individuals, but I refuse to think of my little Bilbo as stupid :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
If that's the case what's to be said for my little black boy who has a chocolate father? A titled chocolate father I might add, he must not be too stupid! Ridiculous!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On top of this, I have heard people say positive things like "Chocolate labs are more friendly!", which I'm guessing has as much weight behind it as people saying they are stupid! I think all labs are intelligent and extremely loveable dogs. Glad to see people agree it is a myth. I'm a first time dog owner so I didn't really know if this was fact or fiction!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
a single litter can have all three colours. And just like human hair colour, the colour of a dog's fur is not linked to intelligence.
You will read a LOT of false information online. Especially about dogs.

Where chocolates probably got a bad reputation is the are a recessive color, thus it occurs less frequently. When the colour became popular, many people were breeding dogs ONLY for colour. Paying to attention to temperament, intelligence or health. This led to many "badly bred" puppies that had temperament, health and behavioural issues. So the "crazy stupid chocolate lab with allergies and health issues" became more common.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ya, no. My Kaity is a goofball, but is very intelligent. :) She's even a bit smarter than Dio...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One last question... is it normal to feel deeply insulted yourself when someone says something remotely negative about your dog (especially if it is unwarranted?). I'm usually an extremely laid back, placid person and insults to myself just tend to bounce off! But when that lady said "Chocolate labs are stupid", I was fuming! (Quietly of course, being British haha). When I got in the car, I had a little rant to my boyfriend who thought I took it too seriously haha.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Absolutely, I would be terribly insulted. Instead of letting this get to you, as it is utter nonsense, educate the person who says this type of thing to you. Even if they don't "hear" you it will make you feel better!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Stupidity & intelligence is the same in dogs as it is in people. It comes in all shapes, sizes & colors.

Personally, I know wayyyyyyy more stupid people than I do stupid dogs.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I don't think so.
I have a chocolate and admittedly she has been harder to train than my black boy, but she was also older when I got her.I think my Ma Brown is too smart. She knows the commands, but thinks "why should I sit....we will be moving in a second...what a waste of time"lol.

People didn't like Erns when I got him and wouldn't touch Tess the first few months after I got her. I let stuff wash over me.I know my dogs are great, they love me, so what more can we want.

ETA. A few months after I got Ernie the vet told me he has to be the dumbest Lab he had ever seen. He took that back within a year. lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've met stupid chocolate lab owners. Usually thier dogs are brilliant. LOL

I honestly don't think I've ever met a stupid lab. I've met (and own) more laid back labs, but never stupid. I think that theory of the chocolate being stupid is inaccurate at best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anytime I've received negative comments about something, no matter what it may be, I just come back with "Actually, the chocolate labs are the most intelligent and bred to be that way... look it up". Just give the moron something constructive to do when they get home. LOL

Granted I do not have a choclate lab, but this goes for any subject. I also like saying "I think she's perfect", kinda lets them know they just said something negative and maybe they need to look in the mirror.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I would have been very insulted, especially considering the person does not know you or your dog. To categorize them with such a broad statement is small minded. I've had people tell me my Lexi is crazy, dopey, etc. I just ignore them, if they believe that her being chocolate makes her stupid... let them live in their own deluded little world.

I admit, my Lexi is not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes, but there are equally as many times when she is scary smart. Like Tanya said, they just decide if doing what they've been asked is worth the time & effort.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There is no color correlation. Just like some people are stupid, some dogs are stupid. Has nothing to do with the color of their hair.

Now if you want to have a discussion about breeding, that's another story. Chocolate were not initially as popular as the other colors, so when folks started wanting them, the back yard breeders and puppy mills started pumping them out to meet the demand, and YES, due to bad breeding practices, those chocolate dogs tended to have structural, temerament and intelligence issues.

But a well-bred chocolate is no different than a well-bred black or yellow.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
"Everybody knows"... that black labs are the best hunters, yellow labs are lazy and chocolate labs are hyper... LOL I´m just kidding
I heard that black labs were aggressive, yellow labs were dumb, and chocolates were hyper. :)

My husband refers to all labs as chocolate. He says, "some people like dark chocolate (black), some people like white chocolate (yellow), but everyone loves milk chocolate (chocolate)." :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.