Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking about getting a second lab and considered chocolate male (will look cool to walk one black and one choc)
However, our trainer said the the chocolate labs are more hyperactive and tend to have skin problems. These is compared to black or yellow labs.
Can someone comment on that?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Not true at all. Color has nothing to do with temperament, nor does it have anything to do with skin problems.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ditto that. It's all in the lineage and the breeding.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Not true. That's like saying all blondes are dumb, redheads have short tempers and brunettes are more intelligent.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
So not true. Dio is a black lab and is HYPER! He is only 8 months, but still. We met up with a couple with a choc. lab, same age, and he was way calmer. Depends on the pup, has nothing to do with the colour.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to offend anyone, but you are talking from knowledge or from a "believe"?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So not true. Dio is a black lab and is HYPER! He is only 8 months, but still. We met up with a couple with a choc. lab, same age, and he was way calmer. Depends on the pup, has nothing to do with the colour.
Niki, a black lab, is also a SUPER HYPER. I understand that it's all about each and every pup. But is there statistcs that a specific color/type/what-ever is more hyper or prone to a problem.....

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
That must be a universal stereotype as I was told the same but it is absolutely not true.

I had it explained by my very reputable breeder like this- Chocolate labs became a bit of a fashion accessory in the '90's and as a result were bred on mass by a lot of BYB to satisfy a demand by unscrupulous customers. Because their lineage and parent's health and breeding suitability wasn't considered many of them were as you described more hyperactive and had other problems, giving chocolates in general a bad reputation.

I have owned chocolates since 1985 and have found them to be no different what so ever to my black labs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Having one of each Huck our chocolate is our most laid back and calm of the three.. somewhere the poor chocolates got this bad reputation. I've heard it too but haven't seen it in mine!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having one of each Huck our chocolate is our most laid back and calm of the three.. somewhere the poor chocolates got this bad reputation. I've heard it too but haven't seen it in mine!
Thats our final target, to have one of each :)
You have a mix of males and females? What are the ages?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My chocolate boy is also very calm and laid back, always has been . . . even as a puppy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It is a myth. Color does not matter. The breeding behind the dog is what is important. A reputable breeder will breed healthy (no allergies) labradors with great temperaments and research their breeding animals pedigrees in depth to insure this. I have 5 adult labs indoors along with a litter of 10 chocolate pupies, (4 of the adults are chocolate and one is a 13 month old black puppy -Chantel's Daisy littermate) and they are all laid back and none of them have any skin issues.

As some one ealier stated, some BYB's ill bred many chocolate labs they could put together to produce puppies in the 90's and that is why the chocolate got a bad rap.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Not true. Someone told me black labs were more hyper than any. I have had 2 black labs and neither were ever hyper...my yellow is full of energy. Just depends on the dog, color had nothing to do with it

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Not only does it all depend on the breeding (for temperament and health), but also on how you train them and raise them. Almost any lab, regardless of color, if not given proper training and exercise and mental stimulation will be a handful, very hyper, and hard to manage.

My Sally is very well bred for temperament and health, but she's extremely high drive and energetic and playful. That's not a bad temperament. That's the exact temperament we wanted. But I guarantee you, if she hadn't had some good training and lots and lots and lots of exercise and positive outlets for her drive and energy, she would be a poster child for this wrongful stereotype of chocolates.

But now, she's the perfect pet! :kiss: :thumb:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
If you look at the siggy pic on the left, that is what Hershey Kisses thinks of the person that told you this. Its just not true.

The true story behind that picture will remain a secret for now because it serves this purpose so well.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
This boy will melt your heart but not on your hands......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts