Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi my chocolate lab is 9 months old. And he has a terrible biting problem. Especially when I lay down. Is this normal??
Biting is never “normal” but it does depend on what you mean. If you mean he is “mouthy”, that is normal for Labs but not if he’s mouthy on you or any other person. Dogs will play bite with each other but you aren’t a dog and he needs to learn that. Simply: don’t let him or it will not only continue but get worse. You should immediately thrust a chew toy in his mouth to let him know what is and what isn’t okay to chew. Labs will chew stuff, carry stuff, and eat almost anything; it’s up to you to teach him what is okay. Best of luck. P.S.: we just started an e-collar with our ultra rambunctious Border Collie-Lab mix 10 month old and it works! No pain and great results!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biting is never “normal” but it does depend on what you mean. If you mean he is “mouthy”, that is normal for Labs but not if he’s mouthy on you or any other person. Dogs will play bite with each other but you aren’t a dog and he needs to learn that. Simply: don’t let him or it will not only continue but get worse. You should immediately thrust a chew toy in his mouth to let him know what is and what isn’t okay to chew. Labs will chew stuff, carry stuff, and eat almost anything; it’s up to you to teach him what is okay. Best of luck. P.S.: we just started an e-collar with our ultra rambunctious Border Collie-Lab mix 10 month old and it works! No pain and great results!
I really love him. I hope it stops. Thank u

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our chocolate lab is now almost 8 years old. But I remember well his biting when he was a puppy. My arms typically had bite marks on them for a long time. I would try to keep my hands and arms out of his mouth. One thing that worked was crossing my legs so he could not jump on my lap and get at my hands/arms. Even so, he still got me from time to time. It was a royal PITA. But tell ya what, he got over it before he was a year old (I cannot recall exactly how old he was anymore) and has become the greatest friend/companion I have ever had. He is polite, patient, easy going, smart, you name it. So, hang in there, try to keep your arms out of his mouth, better days are coming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our chocolate lab is now almost 8 years old. But I remember well his biting when he was a puppy. My arms typically had bite marks on them for a long time. I would try to keep my hands and arms out of his mouth. One thing that worked was crossing my legs so he could not jump on my lap and get at my hands/arms. Even so, he still got me from time to time. It was a royal PITA. But tell ya what, he got over it before he was a year old (I cannot recall exactly how old he was anymore) and has become the greatest friend/companion I have ever had. He is polite, patient, easy going, smart, you name it. So, hang in there, try to keep your arms out of his mouth, better days are coming.
Was he ever aggressive?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts