Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that yellow eyes on a chocolate are not desirable (for showing) - or maybe it say unacceptable?

Almost all chocolate labs I have seen have yellow eyes. What color SHOULD their eyes be and what would cause yellow eyes?

Can a breeder that knows their lines avoid yellow eyes?

I'm just curious.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
From the AKC standard:

Eye color should be brown in black and yellow Labradors, and brown or hazel in chocolates. Black, or yellow eyes give a harsh expression and are undesirable.
I have not seen that many chocolates in person, but the ones with darker eyes (more brown than yellow) do look kinder and gentlier to me. I have no idea whether it's possible to avoid the yellow eye collor and how.

M

·
0 Posts
Gigi's eyes are a reddish brown instead of dark brown like George's -- and most other dogs' -- and I figured that was just the way Labs are. I obvously know NOTHING about it. ;D

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Riders are brown...I have noticed that some of the darker chocolate (pet bred) dogs have lighter eyes. Riders' are brown with a lighter ring right next to the pupil

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Dani said:
Riders' are brown with a lighter ring right next to the pupil
That's how Jes's eyes are. Some of the stories you tell about Rider and some of the pictures I see make me wonder if they're not secretly related. LOL

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yes, darker eyes are preferred, though it is not a DQ. I think that if you breed two dogs with darker eyes, you'll preserve the darker eye. But it's genetics so who knows. Grace was born from a choco with deep brown eyes and a black dad with dark eyes and her eyes still could stand to be a tad darker.

while look how dark mom's eyes were

But for pets, it's doesn't matter one bit.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do love the deep brown eyes! I admit, the yellow threw me off at first but I love Rock as he is!

What a cute shot of Grace! Her eyes are beautiful. Her mom's eyes are something else though, what a rich brown!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Genetics - you can have a dog or ***** with a nice brown eye but they throw a light eye in the pups. The 'burnt sugar' color gives them a sweeter expression I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts