Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to this message board so if this subject has already been discussed, please forgive me.

I have a two-year old Lab who seems to do fine on dry dog food for a while then will have stomach issues (vomit). I was wondering if anyone on this board has their dog on a homemade chicken (cooked of course) & rice diet and can give any advice for doing this as a permanent diet. Recipes that you use, vitamins that you give in addition to, etc. I am just starting to research this while I am waiting for the vet to get back with me concerning a nutrition book she thinks she has.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You'll have to be very careful to make the diet balanced. Have you tried the sensitive stomach diets? Do you moisten your dog's dry food? Regardless, I hope you can resolve the problem. Just work closely with your vet to insure a balanced diet. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we have been moistening the dry food. I have not tried the sensitive formula dog food...yet. Just researching options. Just seems like he has a hard time with dog food no matter what formula it is.

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
What brand are you feeding and how much of it? sometimes these problems can simply be caused by overfeeding. It could even be an intolerance to one or more ingredients.

You CAN do a homecooked diet, but most people favour feeding RAW over cooked. A diet of just chicken and rice is not balanced and you would have to supplement with bones, different meat protein sources and other bits and pieces (veggies, etc.). A raw/homecooked diet will never be as "balanced" as a high quality dry feed but missing out certain nutrients can actually do the dog more harm then good.

If you want to learn more about raw feeding, try these links;

www.rawlearning.com
groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding
www.raw-dogs.com/default.htm
www.raw-connections.com
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

Of course, if you decide to take the plunge, it is best to talk to some experienced feeders in person.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been feeding Purina One Lamb & Rice lately. We have tried higher quality foods (Innova, Natural Balance, etc.) and end up with the same results eventually...upset stomach. We placed him on the Purina One at the recommendation of our vet who said her dog can handle the Purina One if she gets an upset stomach.

I don't believe we are overfeeding as we have to be very careful with his weight. He had TPO (HD) surgery when he was only 7 months old (another thread would have to be started on this subject). So we have to be sure he doesn't get too heavy due to the hip.

My vet did say in her e-mail reply when asked about the chicken and rice diet that we would have to add a few other ingredients and vitamins. But that it was a good way to go. She was going to see if the clinic had a specific book that also had recipes in it.

I knew of an Akita several years ago that had stomach issues and was on a steamed rice only diet for it. I can't remember if he received vitamins or not. But all he ate was the rice.

Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
We have been feeding Purina One Lamb & Rice lately. We have tried higher quality foods (Innova, Natural Balance, etc.) and end up with the same results eventually...upset stomach. We placed him on the Purina One at the recommendation of our vet who said her dog can handle the Purina One if she gets an upset stomach.
High quality food tends to be very rich and some don't agree with dogs with stomach issues. Purine ONE isn't great either but in a different way --too many grains a fillers. You might want to try a middle of the road food; ProPlan (from the makers of Purina ONE) and Nutro come to mind. Dogs with sensitive stomaches often do better on a fish based formula.

I knew of an Akita several years ago that had stomach issues and was on a steamed rice only diet for it. I can't remember if he received vitamins or not. But all he ate was the rice.
Dogs need variation in their diet. We couldn't survive and be healthy on a diet of just rice so nor can a dog. Besides, looking at the dog from the outside is no indication of what is going on inside.

I would be wary of going with your vets advice in regards to nutrition. You are probably better off talking to someone who deals specifically with nutrition. If you intend to homecook, talking to raw feeders both online and in person is a good idea.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does this dog ever have a temp or a fever? Has it ever had any type of lameness or odd behavior that you have noticed as in not interested in playing, going off by itself, ect? Have you taken the dog anywhere different as in with you on vacation anywhere? Do you have any ticks in your area?

If you can get this food in your area you may want to try it for the upset tummy:
http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/ep_natural.html
You can also call (their nutritionist) or e-mail them and explain what problem you are having and they will be very helpful in recommending a food for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We just got our pup last week and he is on a dry natural baked puppy food.  However!  We also have a pug, and mixed breed who have been on our homade food for 4 years along with a vitamin supplement.  Here is our recipe!  We use brown rice, pearl barley, no salt mixed veggies, chicken, or ground turkey, and Missing Link Plus vitamin supplement.  We boil our chicken then de-bone it and cut it up. Please make sure you get all the bones!!! We usually use breast but every once in a while they get dark meat. If you can use the boneless breast it just makes everything easier. Then we boil the rice and barley in the chicken broth for flavor. About five minutes before the rice and barley are done we add the no salt veggies  We then mix everything together with a little minced garlic you get in the jar or you can use powder.  It's not bad.  Yes I've tried it!  Then when we feed them you sprinkle the Missing Link Plus on it.  This vitamin is excellent!  It even has Glucosemine in it for healthy joints. We usually make a big batch and froze half of it.  Just make sure you don't keep to much thawed out.  It can spoil but you can tell by the smell.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me!!!!!!  Later!   Coopersdad

P.S.
Here are the ingredients for the Missing Link Plus
flax seed
glucosamine sulfate
blackstrap molasses
freeze dried liver
rice bran
primary dried yeast
sunflower seed
dehydrated alfalfa
dried carrot
freeze dried bone
dried fish meal
freeze dried oyster
sprouted green barley
dried kelp
lecithin
garlic and yucca schidigera extract

·
Registered
300 Posts
Coopersdad said:
We just got our pup last week and he is on a dry natural baked puppy food. However! We also have a pug, and mixed breed who have been on our homade food for 4 years along with a vitamin supplement. Here is our recipe! We use brown rice, pearl barley, no salt mixed veggies, chicken, or ground turkey, and Missing Link Plus vitamin supplement. We boil our chicken then de-bone it and cut it up. Please make sure you get all the bones!!! We usually use breast but every once in a while they get dark meat. If you can use the boneless breast it just makes everything easier. Then we boil the rice and barley in the chicken broth for flavor. About five minutes before the rice and barley are done we add the no salt veggies We then mix everything together with a little minced garlic you get in the jar or you can use powder. It's not bad. Yes I've tried it! Then when we feed them you sprinkle the Missing Link Plus on it. This vitamin is excellent! It even has Glucosemine in it for healthy joints. We usually make a big batch and froze half of it. Just make sure you don't keep to much thawed out. It can spoil but you can tell by the smell. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me!!!!!! Later! Coopersdad

Can you tell me the name of the dry baked food your pup is on? I have been looking for a baked food and have been having a hard time finding one. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Labs4me: We picked up the baked puppy food at Petsmart. It's called "Authority Harvest Baked Chicken Flavor" They also have it for older dogs. Let me know if this helps!!! Coopersdad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts