Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
It's Buddy's Dad again. I am trying to find a cheaper food for him and our other dogs. Right now they eat NATURAL BALANCE Venison and Sweet Potatoes at $60 a bag. Since Buddy is allergic to chicken are there any other cheaper suggestions out there?

Leroy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
sorry I don't pick my food by price point - no help from me :(
I actually do everything I cna not to pay attention to the price either as I think it would stop my heart ...

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
sorry I don't pick my food by price point - no help from me :(
I actually do everything I cna not to pay attention to the price either as I think it would stop my heart ...
I don't go by price strictly, I feed what works best for Caleb. BUT, if I can find something that works just as good, but for less money, I'm going with that. Especially since my husband has been unemployed for almost a year. Believe me, if TOTW wasn't working as good as NB, or of he didn't like it I wouldn't feed it.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I feed my Puff something similar to "Diamond Naturals" C&R but DN also offers a L&R (Lamb & Rice). The Kirkland dog foods (house brand, like Kenmore or Craftsman, sold only at Costco Warehouse Clubs) is made by the same mfr and also has similar C&R, L&R formulas to the DN -- that's the one we really use.

"Taste of the Wild" is also made by the same company (Schell & Kampeter) which also makes Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's ___, as well as the Kirkland, TOTW, and many other brands. They do NOT advertise -- instead they depend on satisfied customers to spread the word.

·
Registered
457 Posts
diamond naturals runs about $35 for 40 pound bag ................mine love it ...........we stopped the lamb and rice thought cause the lamb made abby stink

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I am confused. Is it the chicken he is allergic to or what? All the vet said was he had allergies? The dogs love the NB Venison and Sweet Potatoes but honestly I only spend $60 a week for a family of 6 on groceries and household items. Its hard to justify spending $20 a week in food for our four leg family members. Another bonehead ? How much should I be feeding Buddy? The little dogs are used to their food being down all day..bad habit I know..so its hard keeping Buddy out of their bowl. He does pretty good but every know and then he will sneak a bite.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The food you are feeding now is a grain free food. Grain free is good for those with allergies because grains are common allergens. If you know for sure he only has an allergy to chicken then you can feed any food without chicken. Grain free food tends to be more expensive but you feed less of it because it doesn't have all of the extra fillers. Raven eats Nature's Variety Instict (but it is is chicken flavor- grain free). She only eats 2 cups a day. Here is a link to a list of other grain free foods. Not sure what is available in your area. The Dog Food Project - Grain Free Dog Foods
If you don't need grain free Proplan Sensitive Skin and Stomach is a decent food I used to feed- no chicken...salmon is the main ingredient.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I only spend $60 a week for a family of 6 on groceries and household items.
Wha? Huh? Really? How is that possible? I spend about $250 for a family of 4!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a Huge Coupon Geek. If it aint got a coupon my family is hard pressed to get me to buy. My best week this year was $383 dollars worth of groceries and personal items for 48 bucks,lol. I can give you more info if you like. Its easy to do and doesnt take much time to do it.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I am a Huge Coupon Geek. If it aint got a coupon my family is hard pressed to get me to buy. My best week this year was $383 dollars worth of groceries and personal items for 48 bucks,lol. I can give you more info if you like. Its easy to do and doesnt take much time to do it.
I would love more information. I sent you a private message as well.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I was just wondering, to open another can of worms: Do you know for certain that he has food allergies, or could his allergies be environmental? Environmental allergies are much more common than food allergies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts