Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find ways to cut back on our grocery bill. My starbucks coffee is probably a good place to start. The problem I have is that anytime I buy some cheaper brand of coffee (like folgers) it's too weak.

Anyone know of a cheap store-bought coffee that's nice and strong?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Go for a dark roast, Charla. If you buy beans & grind them yourself, you have a bit more control over the finished product. Try a French roast or espresso.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I've found about any pain old whole beans is just as good as or better than Starbucks. But then I don't care for them anyway. I buy the Seattle's Best French Roast pre-ground for espresso's. When I want one I'm in a hurry so I don't want to bother grinding.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I hate grinding. I'm not a coffee snob or anything. I just need something dark, strong and FAST at 6 am. Isn't Seattle's Best as expensive as Starbucks??

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i use the 7-11 brand(convenience store.) half the price, strong and ground.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Our local news did a thing that said Eight O Clock coffee which you can get in grocery stores was better then starbucks and cheaper. I buy coffee at costco, it like $11.00 for 2.5 lbs of beans.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Yeah, I hate grinding. I'm not a coffee snob or anything. I just need something dark, strong and FAST at 6 am. Isn't Seattle's Best as expensive as Starbucks??
My store sells it for $6.99 a pound, Starbucks costs like $11.99 a pound there. Hell for the price of Starbucks I can get **** good coffee, at our local roasters.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
My family likes Folgers Dark Roast. I don't like coffee. So that's all the help I can be. Just give me a strong cuppa tea with lot of milk.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I order coffee here:
http://www.cafebritt.com/best-deal-20-bag-case/

It adds up to about $8/bag. How much is Starbucks coffee? It's super dark and strong (we get shade grown organic usually). Last time I called we get free shipping too.

You might try a local coffee shop too, sometimes they have buing programs (buy 10 lbs get one free, etc).

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My parents like 8 O'Clock. I gave them a machine that grinds and brews and they swear it makes the best coffee they ever had. I got it at Walmart. Also if you really really like Starbucks buy it at Costco. It is a lot cheaper and divide it in 1/4 and freeze 3/4. The freezer keeps your coffee fresh so it doesn't go stale.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yuban is my favorite grocery store brand. I'm not sure you're gonna save much money since you will probably use "more" to get it to the point you really like. Everyone around here swears by Dunkin Donuts coffee.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We drink Starbucks too, and like the stronger ones - Sumatra, French Roast and Italian Roast. Since Walmart now sells these kinds, Krogers has dropped their prices too - 6.99 on sale and 8.99 usual. I'll try 8 O-clock - if we like it, I don't care what name it has. I figure that we only make one pot in the morning, and maybe one at night, so I'm going to drink what we like for now , but it would be nice to be able to get a cheaper one.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
It's not cheap, but for any of you who like coffee if you ever run across this one give it a try, a lot of history in this one:

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Have you tried the Columbian blends? I buy whatever is on sale - to a point - certain generic brands just are awful. But usually one of Folgers or the Maxwell House or Chock Full of Nuts is on sale. I will also use the store brands sometimes - as long as it is Columbian it is usually as strong tasting as SB.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I just bought Kirkland ground coffee in a dark container. It's as strong as Starbucks. Also try Medaglio D'oro which is ann espresso.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts