Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a wine & cheese party at my church (Grace Episcopal Cathedral) Friday night to which we need to bring both a W & C.

Which Chardonnays do you recommend in the $10 range? -- the $20 range?

My favorite is a Pouilly Fuissé -- IF I can find it but, if so, that's probably about >$30/bottle

Among the lower priced chardonnay's, I much prefer the Australian Lindeman's Bin 65. It has an overtone of oak and no sweetness (sweetness which I do not like).

And any suggestions on a cheese to go with a chardonnay?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Chardonnay is tough, because American producers have decided that more and more oak is better, which results in overly oaked fruit bombs that don't pair well with food. Look for Australian Chards that are advertised as "unoaked" or "unwooded," like Kim Crawford. I am not a Chardonnay fan, but when I drink it I usually buy wine from Savoie, which I can get from a local distributor for under $20.

As for cheese, that's a tough one. Maybe a triple cream? Something nutty?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
You might like Toasted Head. It is a nice wine - a bit peppery. Around 10-12 bucks a bottle around here.

The J.Lohr is good too. Also nice - little more money - the Bodega Catena Zapeta Chardonnay from Argentina or the Louis Jadot Macon-Villages.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
La Crema is my favorite, widely available chardonnay. It is in the $15-$20 range. Otherwise, when I was last in CA, I had my fair share of a Bailyana chard. It was terrific! Pricing? I think around $30.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Fetzer makes a really good Chardonnay as does Meredian around $10.99 - 12.99

My favorite is Estancia Pinot Grigio...have not tried their Chardonnay, but if it is anything like the Pinot Grigio...it will be good!! :)

I honestly don't eat much cheese, so can't help ya there.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
You can get wonderful, fruit-forward un-oaked chardonnays. I would suggest stopping in to the Port of Wines, or specialty boutique and asking the experts what they have. That's usually what I do, rather than trying to track down a specific wine. I tell them what I like and they make recommendations from what they have in stock. They also call me when things I *may* like come in =) Great prices too!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm with Nathan and T about avoiding the heavily oaked American Chardonnays. I prefer unoaked, French or New Zealand chards - though typically my white wine of choice is sauvignon blanc. If you've got a decent wine store nearby, I'm sure they'll be glad to give you recommendations.

For cheese, a nice brie is always safe and relatively mild. Or you could go with a nutty Jarlesberg.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Fetzer makes a really good Chardonnay as does Meredian around $10.99 - 12.99

My favorite is Estancia Pinot Grigio...have not tried their Chardonnay, but if it is anything like the Pinot Grigio...it will be good!! :)

I honestly don't eat much cheese, so can't help ya there.
off topic: the Estancia Cabernet is very good too! Running around 12-15 dollars a bottle.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I am a wine-moron. Completely ignorant. Don't drink it. Don't order it.

Sommelier? Isn't that the season followed by Autumnique?

I do like me some Diet Dr. Pepper, though.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Sorry, I'm more of a red girl and particularly have a hard time with chardonnay. I prefer a naked one (meaning its never been in wood) to most of the fruity buttery ones. Let us know what you decide on and if you liked it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts