Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 13 weeks old and I will be starting a Puppy Training class in a couple of weeks. The Trainer has suggested I move her to Adult food at 4mos. I have always kept my dogs on puppy food until they are a year old. I wanted to get some thoughts on this....my initial reaction is it is too young. I am sure the reason is because the lower protein in Adult Dog food will help to calm her down......like most Lab pups....she has two speeds....HIGH and OFF.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Judy,
My opinion is keep her on puppy food. By switching now you may rob your puppy of proper nutrients that she needs for growing into a healthy adult. Any quality puppy food will contain DHA a vital nutrient in the development of your puppy's brain function. By switching you would be robbing your puppy of this any many other nutrients not normally found in adult food. Yes switching her to an adult food may calm her down but she is a Labrador puppy, this is what they do. In my opinion switching her food now would be like putting a child on Ridalyn because they act like a child. Just remember training takes time and patience with a puppy. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Ive heard alot of ppl on here say they only actually use 1 sack of puppy food, I switched my dog onto Junior food at 6 months old then adult at a year

1 - 5 of 5 Posts