Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing food for both dogs......Dakota (3 year old Choc.) has had reoccurent ear infections her whole life.......She was on Eukanuba when she was a puppy and now she's on Innova evo....I just don't like the results it has on her....

and then there is Denali never had an ear infection in his life and now he has one.....he is on Innova Puppy..He just turned one....Should I take him off the puppy now anyway? I think I took Dakota off puppy around 10-12 months old....

I know there is much debate about food.....especially with all the new problems....I have done research and think Pro Plan might be a good option.....

Any recommendations or thoughts would be great.....Thanks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I know there are some people that switched to an adult food before their pups were one. I switched Thor when he was a year old and he is on ProPlan Chicken and Rice and seems to do okay with it :)

Hope you find one that cures the ear infections! ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
liveelayne said:
I know there are some people that switched to an adult food before their pups were one. I switched Thor when he was a year old and he is on ProPlan Chicken and Rice and seems to do okay with it :)

Hope you find one that cures the ear infections! ;)
me too....I feel like i've been so on top of the infections for Dakota and now something's gotta change and i think the food might be the culprit this time....

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Bailey just turned one last month & I slowly switched her over to Pro Plan for the month/3 weeks before that.
She's doing good on that so far, but we've never had any health issues related to food.

Get well wishes & to find a fix for those ear infections!!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
We switched our last puppy off Innova Puppy at 4 months. Grace did just fine.

The ear infections could possibly be due to an allergy to a specific protein if you still aren't happy on EVO. What about finding a food that does not have the same protein source as what you are feeding now? Which might be hard...which EVO are you on? Large Bites or Red Meat?

Pro Plan is a good food but you may still have the same problems if you don't know what the underlying cause is.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CYNLABS said:
We switched our last puppy off Innova Puppy at 4 months. Grace did just fine.

The ear infections could possibly be due to an allergy to a specific protein if you still aren't happy on EVO. What about finding a food that does not have the same protein source as what you are feeding now? Which might be hard...which EVO are you on? Large Bites or Red Meat?

Pro Plan is a good food but you may still have the same problems if you don't know what the underlying cause is.
Dakota is on Innova Evo....not Evo large bites or red meat....It comes in a silver bag.....

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
**** did best on Pro Plan- no ear infections or hot spots. Caleb came home on Eukanuba LB puppy (I switched that to Lamb & Rice Puppy). Just before he turned 6 months old, I started switching him to Pro Plan, first the beef & rice (because the store only had the huge bags of L&R and Salmon), and now the salmon (sensitve skin & stomach). I've noticed he isn't scratching as much as he used to. And, I don't know if it's the food or the purple ear cleaner I bought, but his gunky ear has cleared up, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts