Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the years I was involved in academic instruction and disaggregating achievement data I never bothered to read the Chancellor's Regulations,never had a reason to, there are a gazillion of them written in what I call "grey", they can mean this or they can mean that....so here I am, beginning my new role as Director of Health, Safety, and Suspension for 25 NYC schools and it's all compliance based...man there are a lot of rules and due dates! So a principal that is experienced has a fighting chance of meeting all of these requirements, the requirements are ammended annually so even they have to struggle to relearn. What am I going to do with all the new principals???? 80% are new??

I never realized the amount of work that goes into a suspension or a school safety plan. Who knew there were 3 types of suspensions?? My head is spinning and I'm taking deep breaths and praying! LOL

To add to the pile....what about those kids that don't get immunized due to religious beliefs...you wouldn't believe the process!

Every kid in the city is claiming an asthma related illness so that they can get permission to carry cell phones...and their doctors are writing the letters they need. What did we do when there were no cell phones!

I'm just yaking....

Keep your fingers crossed that I get this right!

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
look on the bright side - bet no one else knows all the rules either - so, just make sure you know MORE than they do! GOod luck!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Are there any other similar directors doing similar jobs with other NYC schools that you could get guidance and support and mentoring from?

I'd sure look for them.

It's so VERY difficult learning everything on your own that getting advice and help from my experienced compatriots is the time honored way of mastering complex new responsibilities.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any other similar directors doing similar jobs with other NYC schools that you could get guidance and support and mentoring from?

I'd sure look for them.

It's so VERY difficult learning everything on your own that getting advice and help from my experienced compatriots is the time honored way of mastering complex new responsibilities.

Good luck!

There are 21 of us in the city, many come with experience in specific areas and yes, they are training the rest of us. As of this past Monday I'm attending 3 weeks of intense training. Today was all about gangs...the stats are frightening and depressing. I'm good at networking and that's what I'm doing!! It's going to be all about relationships with these folk and their blackberrys!! Believe it or not, as intense and challenging as this is, it is also very exciting!!

I keep trying to guess what that "first" emergency I have to handle is...and I think I know exactly which of my schools it's going to happen in. Believe it or not, it's an elementary school!! I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks for the advice!! It's always welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts