Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're doing the CGC test with Rupert this evening.

We did a practice test at our last dog class a couple weeks back, have practiced the tasks since then, and did a couple run throughs last night to the extent we could.

He did pretty well at the different tasks. The ones I'm most worried about are accepting a stranger, being pet by a stranger, and being groomed/inspected.

He loves people and is a bit of a jumper, so I'm midly concerned he will get out of position or slobber all over the petter's hand. I'm gonna tire the hell out of him before the test so that will help a bit.

Does anyone have any last minute tips on taking this thing? And advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Relax and have fun. Nellie and I did the CGC at our lab rescue picnic several years ago without having practiced. She aced it.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Talk to him! You can talk to him all you want, USE it. ;)

A lot of the time it will depend on the judge as to what's a pass/fail, Baloo rolled over for a belly rub on "sit politely for petting", but the judge just laughed, and he still passed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Yup, have fun and talk to him! While I have heard of some CGC evaluators being complete jerks, every time I have taken a dog through it I have only met great people. I think even with Red (my co-own), who I did have reservations about the stranger petting him I also petted Red and made him feel comfortable.

Good idea to have your dog well exercised!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Talk to him! You can talk to him all you want, USE it. ;)
Yep, I talked the whole time to Sunshine, she is very timid but we have come a long way with obedience. When we went into the test I talked happy, said hello to the tester, told my dog to wait when we did the accept a stranger pet. As long as your boy isn't jumping all over the place I don't think you will have any problems.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
exercise him before you go...that will mellow him out before hand.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well we didn't make it...neither did any of the other dogs taking the test with us.

Here's a question: Were you permitted to give your dogs treats off to the side between tasks to reward him? Our instructor assured us we could, just not while performing a task. The evaluator here wouldn't let us. Everyone else was as perplexed as us. It's like changing the rules of the test right before you start. Totally ridiculous.

None of the 8 dogs in our group came close to passing. I think the evaluator musta washed up out of AKC judging school and is taking it out on the poor owners who just want a decent pet. Basically like the grump mall cop who flunked the police academy.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
No food allowed for our test, just lots of talking and praise.

Which aspects of the test did you fail? At least that'll give you an idea of what to work on for next time. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
We weren't allowed any food either. Hopefully the old grump told you what you had to work on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one we failed was greeting a stranger with a dog. We knew this would be his weakest area going into it.

Perhaps at some point while do a few runthroughs without food, then try it again sometime.

Or maybe not. He may be a big chocolate failure in their eyes, but I feel confident in the training we did with him and his ability to be a good dog in public.

Plus he turns 1 tomorrow, so we've already got something to celebrate.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I didn't take my Chocolate girl, Hershey Kisses, for her CGC test until she was almost 2. The one you failed is a tough one. I have to ask this question. The other dog? Was it well behaved, as in perfect? Or did it contribute to whatever happened. The evaluator we had used her dog that was unbelievably calm and obedient.

I would be visiting the local Petsmart or Petco often and searching for the situation that you are trying to improve. (That's where I tackled meeting a stranger with a dog.)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She evaluated one dog at a time, but the other dog involved was a fellow examinee, who was similarly struggling.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
She evaluated one dog at a time, but the other dog involved was a fellow examinee, who was similarly struggling.
If I understand what you wrote, the examiner was wrong to conduct the test that way, in my opinion. I have watched a lot of CGC tests in our area now, and they always have a very well behaved dog, lets call the examiners dog a CGC PHD candidate. There is always someone with a marginal, or totally unprepared dog taking the exam and it is just not fair to the other dog to have to be perfect when 3 feet from a clown. Not intending to be ciritical of the clown dog, but they are sometimes.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
so sorry you failed...better luck next time. Treats are not allowed during testing, we were told not to bring any at all because it might hurt another dog testing if they smell it.

It is the tester choice of what dog to use for the test. In my last cgc with sunshine, they used a retired service dog. But for my cgc with Gordy they had us pass other handlers that were there for the test. I didn't have any problems either way but I can see if you have two very excited dogs how difficult it would be.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Sorry...did you take him out for a romp before?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Don't feel bad. Ruger flunked the "Sit Politely For Petting" NINE times. I thought he'd never get his CGC. He almost had his CD before he got his CGC. Finally he passed it. Phew!

You'll get it. Keep trying :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts