Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know I should of put this in training, but thought I might get more input here. Has anyone used these, if so were they successful! About a month ago Sammi found her "voice" ;), and really started barking. Before that don't think i heard her bark more then once or twice, I really cannot figure out what changed. She will only bark at other dogs, if she cant get to them to play. Like in the jeep :eek:-this is really loud and annoying. From the front window in the house, and if she is out along the fence and a cat, dog or person she sees and wants to play with. She is not aggressive at all, barks and wags her tail. I have tried ignoring her, a spray bottle, her halter correcting her with a quick pull and a "quite", staying quite myself! My big problem is we are selling our house and will be living in a RV park for a short time prior to moving to our new place. plus we RV allot anyway and just cant have her parking at every dog that goes by when she is tethered and cant play. Sorry this is so long, but I am frustrated and just need some suggestions/help- Thanks ahead a time for any replies- signed Sammi's slightly frustrated mom- Diana :-\

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've used an e-collar type bark collar with great success. I chose that over a citranella because I've seen friends dogs bark through the citranella collars and the smell they create.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I'm not a fan of bark collars, but your situation is one where it might be the best option. Obviously you're going to need to get this under control fast, and then when you get into your new place you can do more training.

I would try the citronella collar first. Nicole's right that some dogs aren't sensitive enough for it. Conversely, some dogs are *too* sensitive--the unpleasant smell lingers in the air after they stop barking, so it become a random punisher, which can create a sense of learned helplessness. If she's neither an insensitive oaf (like Theo :) ) nor a withering flower, the citronella will probably work. If not, you may need to try the e-collar bark collar--but do get professional training on it if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
282 Posts
We bought one like that for Madison. It's the "Spray-Bark Collar", found it at D & B Supply and thought, oh wow, that sounds great. Ya... sounded great until we'd spend the $50 for it and it didn't work that great for Madison. I think it was because she's a higher pitched barker, PLUS the little stinker figured out how to adjust her bark so it wouldn't spray! :eek: We also had a hard time keeping the colar adjusted so the sensor stayed against her throat to sense the vibrations. There were even times that she'd barked in the house, we saw and heard it spray but she wasn't even fazed by it. She hasn't had the collar on is probably a month now. I've really been working with her with "no bark" when I don't want her to bark. Plus now with Sarah.... who happens to be a bit vocal, lol... Madison uses her voice every now and then a bit louder than necessary. We've also tought Madison to talk quietly, which is great when she wants out, lol. ;)

With Sammi being older and bigger, it might work on her. I know a person that bought it for her 3 yr old Great Pyranese (?) and it worked great for her.

Good luck.
Alisa

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
JacksAndLabs said:
I've used an e-collar type bark collar with great success. I chose that over a citranella because I've seen friends dogs bark through the citranella collars and the smell they create.
Plus do you really want your dog breathing in that crap?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bearsdad said:
JacksAndLabs said:
I've used an e-collar type bark collar with great success. I chose that over a citronella because I've seen friends dogs bark through the citronella collars and the smell they create.
Plus do you really want your dog breathing in that crap?
That was one of many conerns I have, but was thinking it was the better of two evils. I really am working everyday with her on the no bark and she is getting better, at times ;). She is very smart, and usually learns very quickly. This is just one thing, as "Theoconbrio" stated, that we need to get a handle on quickly! Sammi is very sensitive to smells, I have been trying a spray bottle with a little Listerine in it, and this has helped in the house. However outside it is pretty much useless as it dissipates in the air really quickly. Also I don't think the citronella collar would be very successful in the car. UHG, thanks for the input, I will continue to work with her everyday- just feel like I'm running out of time-

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you are home and able to supervise her, you could try a device my SIL got for her non-stop barking Samoyed. It is a thing which emits a high-pitched squeal (above range of human hearing) when you press a button. She has a large back yard and the range on it works all the way to the back of her yard from inside the house. It may be a good thing to help you reinforce your no-bark training. My SIL had great success with it on her Samoyed. Having said that, she tried it on one of my Labs when he was barking along with the Samoyed and it didn't seem to bother him at all. So you may need a somewhat more sensitive dog than my big oaf. :)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like something I would love to try! If you could pass on the name I would love it. Sammi does seem pretty sensitive to smell and sound, and the sound maybe more workable outside, and in the jeep

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw your post and wanted to add our 2 cents. We were having trouble with Hobart's barking. There was no rhyme or reason to it, but it was always at men and usually when they startled him or he wasn't paying attention, but we never knew when it was coming so it was hard to correct right at onset. We tried training "no bark" but he would just keep barking.

We got the citronella collar about 3 weeks ago and it has worked well for us. I wouldn't say its amazing or anything, but it has made a difference. What we like about it is what we don't have to punish him, the spray does it for us and thus he is not associating us with the punishment at all. When the spray goes off, we say "No Bark!" but do not do anything more than that. He is starting to really get it. He doesn't like the sound or the smell and hardly ever barks any more. Just took about a week for him to start getting it.

Note: We do not leave it on him when he is unattended. Never on in the crate and we do not leave it on if there is any place he might swim (it is water resistant not water proof).

All around I would reccommend it, but it works differently for different dogs. We payed $68 for ours. Worth it we think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts