Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like him? Hate him? Who? :confused:

I've been watching The Dog Whisperer a lot. Cesar Millan is amazing. I love the way he thinks. He is logical and really understands dogs (and people). My favourite part about him is that he doesn't try to change the dogs, he rehabilitates them and trains the people.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Never watched the show, never read his books. From what I am told he is a fraud.

Have no way to back it up, just what I was told.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
have not watched him in years. i agree with the aspects of exercising your dog makes a better behaved dog...beyond that not really sure some of his methods are necessary for every dog.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have not watched him in years. i agree with the aspects of exercising your dog makes a better behaved dog...beyond that not really sure some of his methods are necessary for every dog.
I agree that his methods won't work for every dog.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I love him. I agree that his methods won't work for all dogs, but I think his approach to being calm and assertive and making the dogs calm and submissive is a solid idea. When your dog respects you, it will behave better.

He really is more of a dog rehabilitator and people trainer. That's where 99% of the problems are - the owners.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I love him. I agree that his methods won't work for all dogs, but I think his approach to being calm and assertive and making the dogs calm and submissive is a solid idea. When your dog respects you, it will behave better.

He really is more of a dog rehabilitator and people trainer. That's where 99% of the problems are - the owners.

Exactly. A lot of these dogs are owned by people who have no idea what they are doing and Cesar comes in to point out what they are doing wrong. There was one woman with a dominant chihuhua who didn't want to push her controlling dog off her lap and give it commands and Cesar was ready to just leave and give up on her. :rolleyes:

I do think he has a good instinct for what is wrong with the dogs and, while I don't always like his methods...he does get results. What I'd like to see more of are shows going back to the owners a year later to see how the dog is doing with his owners.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
but I think his approach to being calm and assertive and making the dogs calm and submissive is a solid idea. When your dog respects you, it will behave better.
We happened to stumble upon his show the other night, and the point above was a lightbulb moment for both of us. It makes perfect sense. We've been doing that with Macy the last 2 days (not raising our voice when we say "quiet", etc.) and it's worked wonders already. :)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We like him. I don't think he's a dog god or anything, but I like the fact that he treats them like dogs, and thinks about what they need and not just works for the owner.

Compare him to that icky british chick who does that other dog show and I'll take Cesar every time.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just like 'It's Me or the Dog" lady, Cesar mainly trains the clueless owners. He must know something to be able to train that pack of his to get along.
I have employed his tactic of using a two finger poke to reorient a dog's focus. Sometimes Freckles starts bugging Dukesmom by pawing at her while we are all siting on the sofa and she tells him NO but he ignores her. I just reach over and poke him and say ENOUGH and he turns around and behaves.
I do think he understands the canine psyche.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Hate him. His 'training methods' (if you can call them that) go against all the principles of behavioural science and the learning theory. He does not make dogs 'calm submissive' -- he shuts them down to the point where they are too fearful to react.

There is a reason that all leading animal behaviour scientists in the field discredit his methods and believe his show should be taken off air.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
what about the brad guy from the end of my leash...he's one cranky dude.. i can relate to that =)

·
Registered
12,420 Posts

Yep I agree. He works wonders for some of those dogs and their people. I have to admit, sometimes I wonder about the people, like what are they thinking to allow a dog to get so out of control. I watch the show but haven't read his books.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
His 'training methods' (if you can call them that) go against all the principles of behavioural science and the learning theory. He does not make dogs 'calm submissive' -- he shuts them down to the point where they are too fearful to react.

There is a reason that all leading animal behaviour scientists in the field discredit his methods and believe his show should be taken off air.

Agree.

I do like "It's Me or the Dog" and REALLY LIKE Dr. Patricia McConnell & Dr. Ian Dunbar

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Not sure what you mean by shuts them down until they are too fearful to react. I've never seen him raise his voice or his hand to a dog on the show. Frankly, most of the dogs look much more relaxed when he is done with them.

I've seen dogs on the show look confused by him as they try to figure out what he wants them to do, but I've never seen one look fearful.

I think you either buy the theory that the human needs to be the pack leader, and act like one, or you don't.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.