Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polly came from the shelter missing an eye. I was told that both she and her brother from a litter of seven had suffered a ruptured phthisical (sp?) globe -- basically, their eyeballs never formed. When she was fixed, they cleaned out the socket and permanently closed the eyelid. She's always done just fine, except for the occasional head bump. A day or two ago, we were at the park, and I noticed she was looking for me. I wasn't terribly far away, but I had to call to her before she was sure. I checked her eye out, and found what seems like the beginning of a cataract. I haven't been able to find too much information on what to do -- does anyone have any experience with this? Should we go to the vet, or wait and see? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I have a 3 year old diabetic Lab with the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes. It is typical for a diabeitic dog to develop them in the first year or so from diagnosis - and I have had him seen by a veterinary opthamologist (and I had no idea there was such a thing 2 years ago!).

The cataracts can be removed as they are done in human eyes - with a new lens implanted. Full sight can be restored in many cases - it is not 100% foolproof, but I plan to have the surgery done when Diesel is impacted enough. Right now, he is holding with a pretty minimal problem - his night vision is affected somewhat, but he sees pretty well.

You should see your vet first for a consult and see if there is any reason to investigate further.

Good luck - I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Never wait on an eye. It could be a corneal problem and those are best treated immediately. You might find you spent money for nothing but you might also save her remaining eye.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
oh geez - head to the vets and make sure your lay person's diagnosis is right - how old is your dog?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If it were me I would go to the vet so she could get checked out. How old is your dog????

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
You should see your vet first for a consult and see if there is any reason to investigate further.
Never wait on an eye. It could be a corneal problem and those are best treated immediately. You might find you spent money for nothing but you might also save her remaining eye.
oh geez - head to the vets and make sure your lay person's diagnosis is right
If it were me I would go to the vet so she could get checked out. How old is your dog????
Can you see a common message here? Get to the vet ASAP. You should never 2nd guess a eye injury. It could also be an ulcer which if left untreated, can develop into a cataract not to mention the pain the dog will be in. :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Polly is two, which is why I am concerned. Being an all-but-penniless college student, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting before we went to the vet, but go we will. I also had no idea there was something like a veterinary ophthalmologist, but I'll definitely check that out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
do let us know what happens - fingers crossed you caught whatever early and it is something that can be treated ;)

I have dealt with cataracts and surgery in young dogs before ... we'll talk if we have too ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts