Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it bother you when your cats get on the table or kitchen counters?
Back when I was a kid, my mom use to freak smooth out if a cat jumped on
the table or countertops. It doesn't bother me at all though.

When we sit at the table to eat, Buckwheat is almost always laying on a
corner of the table....just hanging out with us (it's a big table). And while I clean up in the kitchen,
he's always perched on a countertop watching me. He just wants to always be
with the family...and I love that about him.

My other cats don't come downstairs....and hardly leave my bedroom so I usually only see
them when I go to bed at night...or if I nap during the day.

I just think it's cute that Buckwheat wants to be with us just as much
as the dogs do.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I personally don't let Cleo on certain surfaces (kitchen counter or dining room table) but anything else is fair game. I just always think of what crap is stuck to their paws from the cat box and that grossed me out. Plus, you ever watch that British show about the cleaning ladies? They tested one ladys kitchen counter and found traces of cat litter on it, among other things. That grossed me out.

(now I know you are clean Charla, so I don't doubt for a second your counters are wiped off everyday, probably after each meal, but this lady hadn't cleaned anything for like, oh, years!)

But I totally know what you mean - Cleo likes to be right in the thick of things, and I love that!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah....I clorox wipe all kitchen surfaces several times a day. :laugh:
I have clorox wipe issues. :p

G

·
I don’t let Gizmo on the table or the counter. That doesn’t mean he isn’t there when I’m not home, I know he is. Before I prepare anything in my kitchen I wipe down the counters and table. It’s the one thing I hate about cats. I have even caught him laying on the microwave which is ON TOP of the fridge. I love him in spite of his cat ways.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I don't mind counters - the table is supposed to be off limits. I'm not too bad about it if they jump up there though unless they try to while we're eating. We don't have a litter box (the cats use the dog door too so I quit trying to push the litter box on them - they don't like it), but they sometimes do bring in muddy footprints. With two little boys though, the bar on the counter and the table are always being wiped down.

Socks and Mara really aren't too bad about jumping on either though unless they're waiting on food or water...or wanting attention from me while I'm washing dishes or something. Their big hangout spot is on top of the sofa.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I'll start by saying I was never a cat person. Neither of my parents liked them, as a matter of fact they were very anti-cat. Then Tyler found our cat as a tiny kitten, she came home for just one night and she will be six on May 1. ;D So needless to say I came into this with lots of ideas, all of which have been thrown out the window. Kitters used to love to lay on the corner of our dining room table all afternoon because thats where the sun would hit. Now that we have so many dogs she sticks to upstairs, until all is quiet, then sometimes she'll sneak down and lay on it. :p She used to like to hang out on the kitchen counter when we ate our meals, but she doesn't do that anymore either. It didn't bother me after about the first month, but I too have Clorox wipes issues! ;D

·
Registered
578 Posts
One of ours is always in the window in our kitchen and only uses the counter to get to the window. He loves to lay on the dining room table, but I kick him off whenever I catch him. Once the windows are open, he'd rather be in there than on the table. The other one is too good to jump up any further than the couch. Apparantly tables and counters are beneath her :) I had a deaf cat (he just had to be put down last year :'( ) that I kind of taught sign language. He liked to jump up on counters, dressers, anything. He couldn't hear me yell "GET DOWN" so I would point at him and squirt him with the water bottle and it got to the point that all I had to do was point and he'd get down. Our current jumper doesn't seem to have the same learning capabilities. LOL.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't mind the cat on the counters or table as long as I am not 1) cooking or 2) eating. My kids like her up on the table when they are eating cereal becasue they like to give her the milk when they are done but one time when my mom was visiting she about died. ;D

G

·
Absolutely no cats on counters or tables! No freakin way! No purses or feet on tables either (coffee tables). Have you seen what is on the bottom of your purse? Maggie was in the house and just got done eating and for some reason she barfed her food up and Pete cleaned it up before I saw it. I came inside and set my purse right where she puked. Then I needed something and put my purse on the counter. Pete said "you just set you purse where Maggie barfed and now it's on the counter where you are going to be getting dinner ready". Well, that just grossed me out.

I have never let cats on the counters anyway. Something about hair in my food! that I don't like!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts