Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this over the weekend on a car forum I am a member of... :eek:

So, this guy brings in his BMW X5 today and the guy beside me is looking it over. His complaint is a lack of power. So my buddy (Kory) writes it up for a little over $2700 worth of service. Now this part is kind of funny, the guy buys $2700 dollars+ of work and he is worried about being able to use a $25 coupon....whatever. Anyway, the guy buys it all and Kory goes to work. After doing plugs and ignition coils he is putting the intake ducting back on and when he picks up the box that houses the filter something moves around inside. Obviously the filter shouldn't be moving inside so he opens it up and this is what he found....

The stack was about 1.5" thick. $20's on front and back so I can only assume it was $20's all the way through. It was so thick it felt like cardboard, wouldn't bend at all. I would guess it was at least 5 grand. My feeling is that this guy probably doesn't know about this if he was worried about using a $25 coupon. He could have purchased it from an auction after it was impounded, who knows. Or maybe he did hide it there, but if so it would be strange for him to complain about a lack of power and not take it out.

How awesome would it be to bring your car in for a lack of power complain and the service advisor calls you and says, "We found your lack of power problem sir. It seems $5,000 was installed instead of an air filter."

Just thought I'd share. I've found some weird stuff in other people's cars, including drugs, money, etc but this is by far the most money I've ever found. Crazy.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Nice. At least the mechanic was honest. Just think, someone shady could just replace a $15 airfilter, get paid $2700 for the job and then pocket the money in addition.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I bet what Allie said would happen more often than not, unfortunately.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is what happened when the customer came to collect his car. This just doesnt add up. I mean, who does this? :confused:

Customer just came to pick up the vehicle. He was very appreciative for our honesty and thanked up a lot. He said he knew he had hidden money away but he forgot where he put it. He said he hides it so his wife doesn't spend it all. I also seriously doubt he was a drug dealer. Incredibly well dressed and well spoken.

I was a little disappointed he already knew about it, I think it would be fun to surprise someone with something like that. Either way though, he was grateful to have it back and at least we made someone's day today.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I saw this the other day on a car forum I'm a member of. This story is like the Susan Boyle video of car forums.

Had to be drug money. Nothing else makes any sense.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Drug dealers don't always look like drug dealers...it definitely sounds shady no matter what. I still think if he'd had any idea the money was there he would have looked in the air filter, it only makes sense. Even if you have a poor memory wouldn't you stop and think..."oh yeah, those 5 Gs I have in the air filter might be giving me a problem"???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts