Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything to help with this? Not for my furkids, my co-worker's 6 month old Rottie loves the car, but gets so carsick. Even for short rides.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Oh, car sickness, I know it well. Our Otis will puke all the way from Michigan to Pennsylvania if we don't medicate him. He's okay on short trips (less than 45 mins), but longer trips are pure torture for him and us.

If the dog is young, it may be something that s/he grows out of. Or they may be able to do some serious conditioning to train it out of the dog - sit in the car in the driveway, turn the car on in the driveway, pull out of the driveway then right back in, go for drive around the block, etc etc etc. I didn't have the patience or time to do that with Otis, so we did the meds route.

We tried:
1) Dramamine - didn't work
2) Benadryl - didn't work
3) Phenergen (promethazine) - didn't work

Finally, we hit on a really new drug specifically made for nausea in dogs - Cerenia (maropitant citrate). It works GREAT. Before a long trip Otis gets nothing by mouth for 3hrs before the trip, then he gets the medicine 1hr before we hit the road. It's somewhat pricey at $5/pill, but so totally worth it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We had a German Shepherd when I was a little kid. When we went places, he and I would sit in the back seat together. He got car sick and I was puked on a number of times.

Dramamine did the trick for him. As did not feeding him right before we left. Cuts down on the available vomit ammo.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Misha got car sick back when she was a pup. She absolutely hated the car. I tried dramamine and kind of worked. She just drooled like crazy instead of puking.

She grew out of it on her own. Her "terrible" owner forced her to go on car rides until she got used to it. It was a pain!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts