Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having transmission trouble (hard shifting, RPMs shooting up). I took my car in 18 days ago, and they hooked it up to a computer and said the solenoid needed to be replaced (estimate of $1100). Picked it up a couple of days later, drove home and it did the same thing. Took it back. They called and said that 4th gear was out, and needed to be replaced (estimate of $600 more). They did the work, I picked it up and drove home . . . and it did the same thing. Took it back. I suggested that the transmission should be re-built, they said no and suggested that it was a valve in the transmission. They will replace at no additional cost. They did the work, test drove it, and it did the same thing! They called and said that I had 2 choices: Pay $130 more for a used transmission or $1300 more for a re-built transmission. :eek: I called 2 transmission places, and they said the whole job should cost about $2000. I called the dealership where my car is and gave them 3 options: 1 - I will pay an additional $200 (not $1300) for a re-built transmission. 2 - They can refund the $1800 I have paid, and I will go elsewhere. 3 - They can keep paying for the rental car that I have until they decide which of the first 2 options they will accept.

This is why I HATE PEOPLE!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer! That's an awful lot of missteps, wrong diagnoses, and charges for the wrong things.

What year and make is it?
It is a 2000 Olds Silhouette.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
NO dealerships for me EVER!!
I've actually had more independent mechanics screw me over than dealerships. It happens everywhere. A good, trustworthy mechanic is worth their weight in gold. I've yet to find one.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
So, what'd the decide to do?

I've actually had more independent mechanics screw me over than dealerships. It happens everywhere. A good, trustworthy mechanic is worth their weight in gold. I've yet to find one.
Ain't that the truth! We've had really good luck with the service department at our local Ford dealer. Probably because of two things- they're a somewhat "small town" dealer, and Ken's been doing business with them for over 20 years.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It is a 2000 Olds Silhouette.
Aren't you getting awfully close to paying for a fix that's worth more than the entire vehicle? If it's got a ton of miles, you might want to think about how much more you want to pour into it.

On the mechanic issue, I don't think I've ever had one who I didn't suspect was cheating me. Whether they are or not, it's really hard to believe any of them. All the knowledge is on one side and they know it.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I've had excellent, mediocre, and lousy mechanics.

You might look on Tom & Ray's (Click and Clack, the Tappet Brother's) website for their list of trustworthy mechanics.

I'm lucky that for several years I have a friend who owns and sells good used cars. He's familiar with the good and poor shops so he steers me to the best for specific problems.

I'll ETA T&R's good mechanics: http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
A good, trustworthy mechanic is worth their weight in gold. I've yet to find one.

My brother is an honest mechanic. He has quit places that forced him to screw over people several times. If you live in the West PA region (Elwood City) and need a mechanic, PM me.

That said, I WISH he were here in Texas- my car died last month, I paid over $1800 for a new engine and as soon as it gets home the alternator went. I haven't been able to scrape up the $$ to fix it and am driving my friend's beater truck. *sigh*

Lucy

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aren't you getting awfully close to paying for a fix that's worth more than the entire vehicle? If it's got a ton of miles, you might want to think about how much more you want to pour into it.

On the mechanic issue, I don't think I've ever had one who I didn't suspect was cheating me. Whether they are or not, it's really hard to believe any of them. All the knowledge is on one side and they know it.
It has been a very good car, and other than regular maintenance we haven't put anything into it . . . and it has been paid off for about 5 years. My husband is a full-time student and it gets him back and forth to school. :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had excellent, mediocre, and lousy mechanics.

You might look on Tom & Ray's (Click and Clack, the Tappet Brother's) website for their list of trustworthy mechanics.

I'm lucky that for several years I have a friend who owns and sells good used cars. He's familiar with the good and poor shops so he steers me to the best for specific problems.

I'll ETA T&R's good mechanics: http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/
Thanks, good to know.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I've always had a good mechanic - but I also know a lot about cars myself and know what the issue is before I bring the car in.

At least here in North Jersey, dealerships charge a giant hourly rate. My local mechanic is much more reasonable.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
BigBrown Dog-does your mechanic work on Toyota's??? Now that mine is off warranty i'm looking around

Yeah Wendy - one of my cars is a Toyota. He's worked on that, the Maxima and my Dodge. He is in Waldwick - near the Midland Park border - he is a little rough around the edges - but a very good mechanic. I can PM you his name and phone number if you wish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts