Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a '06 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr (our "LAB CAB"). It has a variety of gauges, readouts, so many that you sometimes must toggle between a variety of readouts to get the one you want.

Among mine is a "% of oil life remaining" gauge. It starts off at 100% and then declines by 10s down to 20 and then (IIRC) by 5s from there. It monitors a number of values in the quality of the oil, it's not just mileage.

In the past I've usually replaced the oil in my cars at the 5k mile/8 km distance, more often for hard driving.

At the 20% value, my % oil life remaining readout began shouldering itself to the head of the line of options so it displayed automatically whenever I started the HCH and had to be switched to see any other readouts.

So, last week since it'd been down to 10% for awhile, I made an appointment to have it changed today. In my record book of gas, mpgs, etc., I'd recorded the mileage at the last (my first) oil change. Subtracted that from today's reading.

I was very surprised to find that the LAB CAB had gone about 7,500 miles/12,000 km from the previous change.

Anyone else finding something like this from their similar gauge?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Since I also have a Honda, I have the same gauge. I can usually go 7500+ miles on an oil change depending on whether I did a lot of highway or city miles. You do not need to change your oil every 3000 miles as previously thought. Most engines are recommending every 7500 miles now.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I drive a Honda as well (an '08 Civic), and have only had the oil changed once since I bought in in June of '08.
I'm currently sitting at 30% oil life...and I believe around 6000kms or something like that.
What I've been told is that with these newer engines, the car adapts to your driving style. For example, someone who does a lot of inner-city, highway driving and is harder on their engine will be prompted by the car to do an oil change before someone who is just a casual driver and gentler on the engine...no matter the kms (miles) on the car.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have an Accord and have the same gauge. Oil quality is determined by a sensor or sensors so it is more accurate than just going in every set number of miles (and saves money, too). I usually go 7-8k miles between changes as well. I think I had my 3rd oil change at 25k miles or so? Denny's only had 2 changes but he has less miles than I do, probably around 20k. I let mine go down to 5% or 0 before I go in.

Kim, my owners manual recommends an oil change every year if you don't go down to 0% in a year. Oil gets old even if you don't put too many miles on it. Since it's been 1.5 yrs I would probably go ahead and get one done.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Note that these miles are also achieved with a synthetic oil blend...Even in my old Accord without the gauge I went 7500-10k miles between changes on synthetic oil. I'm not sure I would push it that far with regular oil.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Funny you should bring this up right now. I have a Honda Element 08 - it's the first car I've had that has an oil gauge that shows the "life" of the oil left. I don't care what the gauge says - I am going to get my oil changed every 5,000 miles - my last car had over 235,000 miles on it, so I must be doing something right. The last time I had the oil changed, the guys forgot to "reset" the oil life indicator - it slowly went down - 40%,30%,20% etc,etc....... Now it is very upset with me and is flashing the "negative oil life" - that number is up in the hundreds and goes up quickly - whatever it stands for. There's a little lighted wrench warning me that me car is about to disinegrate, etc. So unless you reset the indicator, it can't really tell what your oil is like.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Kim, my owners manual recommends an oil change every year if you don't go down to 0% in a year. Oil gets old even if you don't put too many miles on it. Since it's been 1.5 yrs I would probably go ahead and get one done.
Got a change done in April of '09, that was the once I was talking about....so I'll probably be prompted for another one around the same time. Get the winter tires off too, and with my luck I'll be due for general maintenance then as well!
I can change my own oil, but since I'm under a service contract I make use of it, and that way it doesn't mess up my warranty or get me covered in oil :tongue1:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
The 3,000 mile oil change is a result of the marketing of the fast oil change/lube industry. I've never seen a car manual that says less than 5,000.

I love the gauges, though. Anytime they can take the pressure off of me to keep track of something, I'm in favor of it.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
My Mini used synthetic and recommended every 10K miles, but also had a readout based on oil-life left. However, I didn't put that many miles on per year so I also always changed annually just to be on the safe side. Synthetic does last longer for engines that are supposed to take it. My new (used) car also takes synthetic and fortunately had an oil change just prior to being traded in, so I probably have another year until I'm due.

It's nice to be getting away from the Jiffy-Lube ads of every 3K no matter what.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I'd never really heard of 3K oil changes until I moved to the U.S. In England most cars don't have oil changes until at least 12k and some will do 18K or more before a recommended oil change. I have seen cars with 200k still running well with these oil changes.

We have a Honda with the oil change indicator and have gotten 10k out of it before it got to 5%. The dealerships will still put stickers on the inside of the window telling me to bring it back after 3K but seriously why would the manufacturer design a car with this indicator if the car needed 3K changes.

We run our other car on synthetic and 5K oil changes. But then we only put 7K-8K miles on it per year.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I have on '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser and it's recommended every 5,000 miles. I have a light on my dashboard "Maintenance Required" that flashes for about 10 seconds when it's getting close to 5,000 miles. Then when I get to the 5,000 mile mark it stays on. I love it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't know Dave? But, I'd rather have clean oil running through than old, black stuff. :nerd:

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I know what you are saying Amy and you certainly have to follow manufacturers guidelines. I guess I am just at a loss as to why the difference. I just can't believe that Toyota Europe would recommend 10k service intervals if it was detremental to their vehicles.

It may have been necessary in earlier years but personally I think advances in engines and oils mean you can now go longer with out the old black stuff. Sure, viscosity will break down over time but unless you are a taxi driver I see no need to change so frequently. Plus, with modern sythetic oils you can extend service intervals.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You know what's funny? STS and every garage around here still puts the reminder sticker on the windshield for 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
You know what's funny? STS and every garage around here still puts the reminder sticker on the windshield for 3,000 miles.
Yeah I get that sticker put on my suv everytime as well. I don't think the dealerships like the service indicator lights very much!! :biggrin1:

BTW - The FJ Cruiser is very cool! :)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I get my oil changes done at the Honda dealership and they never put a sticker on the car, just reset the oil minder. I've had some really bad experiences at oil change places like Express Oil and so now I just go to the dealership. Same price even though I do have to wait a little longer.

I've thought for a long time that American car consumers are getting a raw deal. Seems like cars made for the European market get much better gas mileage, too. The longer oil changes are interesting. Of course, I am glad we don't have to pay the gas prices a lot of European countries have to pay. I'm glad we drive on the correct side of the road, too, not like those crazy Brits.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I get my oil changes done at the Honda dealership and they never put a sticker on the car, just reset the oil minder. I've had some really bad experiences at oil change places like Express Oil and so now I just go to the dealership. Same price even though I do have to wait a little longer.

I've thought for a long time that American car consumers are getting a raw deal. Seems like cars made for the European market get much better gas mileage, too. The longer oil changes are interesting. Of course, I am glad we don't have to pay the gas prices a lot of European countries have to pay. I'm glad we drive on the correct side of the road, too, not like those crazy Brits.
My wife had a bad experience at an express oil place years ago. They actually stripped the thread on the oil sump so she had to get a new one. We've always gone to the dealership with the cars we have now. They still put the stickers on and I rip them off!! LOL!

I agree with you about the gas prices, no way I could run the cars I have here out there because it would cost a fortune. As for the roads, I found it odd when I first moved here driving on the left but now I can hop in a car in either Country and drive without thinking about it. I wonder if that makes me an ambidextrous driver. :noidea::D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't mind the 3,000 mile oil change for conventional motor oils.My co-worker worked for Shell Oil in the UK and USA and swears by the synthetics. He also does more frequent changes ~ 5,000mi even with the synthetics
. If you use a reputable service center there is more to it than just an oil change. There is usually a vehicle check done so at least you know that you might be due for brakes in a month or two. Another feature is transfer and differential fluids are checked, tires can be rotated, filters checked etc. For the lousy 35 bucks I don't mind the more frequent changes. I also live in a harsh winter environment and avoiding a breakdown is key.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts