Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoppers Drugmart has their generic brand on for 7.99 for a bottle of 50 right now.

So if you take it or your dog takes it, now is a great time to stock up.

Also, if anyone was considering buying the sunshade/gazebo on sale at Home Outfitters this week, I can give that a product recommendation too. It only took an hour to get set up, and another hour to put the mosquito netting on LOL But honestly, it's nice and sturdy and well worth it.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Be careful of that gazebo in high winds. I had a lovely one that I used every day in the summer. I went to see Bill one weekend and when I came home, it was smashed against the concrete-block shed. There had been some high winds with higgher gusts while I was gone, and the tie-downs that were provided pulled right out of the ground.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Our gazebo is bolted to the deck and the canopy has a wind thinger in it so the wind will go through the top of it. We left it up in tornado winds last year and it was fine. It was one of those things, as we ran for the basement, "I'm not going out there for a stinking canopy. You do it."

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our gazebo is bolted to the deck and the canopy has a wind thinger in it so the wind will go through the top of it. We left it up in tornado winds last year and it was fine. It was one of those things, as we ran for the basement, "I'm not going out there for a stinking canopy. You do it."
Same with ours - we only ever purchase the kind (well ha! this is only our second one! but still!) with the wind break in the top of it, for that reason.

And like Laura's, she's bolted to the deck. She's not going anywhere this summer!

I did watch a neighbours go for a sail last summer though, theirs wasn't bolted down, nor did it have a vent in the top. Those are the key.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
LMBO - I can picture you saying that, too!

Our canopy had the wind flap thing at the top, too, but it just had anchors that you stuck in the ground to hold it in place. :( I had all the netting down and zipped closed to keep the bugs out, so that added to the wind resistance. I also had a table and chairs in there, and they were all in the neighbor's yard when I got home.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I just picked this up on Saturday! It was no-tax day at Superstore and my parents paid me for 6 weeks of house-sitting.. this was the end result =)

It's nothing fancy.. but i'm pretty excited =) Now i need lights! (and a deck)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kelli, that's very similar to ours! You're gonna love it!

When are you building the deck? this spring/summer right? As long as it's not July, I will actually swear to God, take a road trip and pester you while you build it. I might even help nail some nails!!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
This will be our third summer with our canopy. I love that **** thing in the summer. Our backyard is full sun all afternoon into the evening. You cannot enjoy it unless you have some sort of shade. And ours has withstood the wind. I think you will agree, Karina, that our city is uber windy!!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
kelli, that's very similar to ours! You're gonna love it!

When are you building the deck? this spring/summer right? As long as it's not July, I will actually swear to God, take a road trip and pester you while you build it. I might even help nail some nails!!
Dunno.. the sooner the better as far as i'm concerned..my dad is going either this week or next to buy the wood. I have absolutely no idea where he plans on storing it.. i mean this deck is going to run almost the entire back of my house.. but whatever..

Good god, i'm spoiled! *hee*

Hey.. i have a pink hammer, Kar.. i can so build a deck =) And ****.. now that you swore to God, you're so coming to help! Weeee!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I don't use the things on the side. Where I live, nothing is going to keep the mosquitoes out so I don't even try. Of course, you saw my gazebo thing when you came to see the puppies. :)

We lose chairs all the time. I'll never forget when Beth brought the puppies a play tent a couple of years ago. We had a horrendous storm come up and we headed for the basement. The phone rings and it's the neighbor at the end of the road.

"Laura, I think your puppy tent just flew by." Bahahahaha. It's a freaking tornado, who the hell cares?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I heard, Laura, the trick to keeping the mosquitoes out is to put a rug on the deck so they don't come in via the floor.. i mean it isn't perfect.. but i'm hoping they won't chase me inside.. i hate when it's so hot out, that when dusk comes and it cools off you want to relax outside.. but the bugs chase you back in.. I'm really hoping this works.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
We have had a lot of good luck with the screen netting keeping the bugs out. Although, the trick is to get out there and close them before they start flying around. It isn't fool proof. But it cuts down on them for sure. This year, I'm adding solid panels to keep noisy neighbors from watching us. lol

I also burn a few candles. I like to think they work, but I doubt it. lol

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm a carpet, eh? I was thinking like what Aim said - just get out there early enough and close the flaps and hope that only a few sneak in instead of 55,000. I like to burn candles out there too, and either we're both delusional or something, but I think it totally works! (plus it's such nice mood lighting too!)

Kelli, yep, guess I'm locked in now, eh?!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I don't use the things on the side. Where I live, nothing is going to keep the mosquitoes out so I don't even try. Of course, you saw my gazebo thing when you came to see the puppies. :)

We lose chairs all the time. I'll never forget when Beth brought the puppies a play tent a couple of years ago. We had a horrendous storm come up and we headed for the basement. The phone rings and it's the neighbor at the end of the road.

"Laura, I think your puppy tent just flew by." Bahahahaha. It's a freaking tornado, who the hell cares?
LMBO at the puppy tent flying by! Did she think you were going to go run after it??

I found that keeping the screens closed really helped cut down on the mosquitoes. Of course, it was on the ground so they weren't coming up from under a deck, either. The carpet is a good idea for that. I also used citronella candles in metal buckets, three or four sitting on the ground. I'd sit out there with Shadow and read until it was too dark to see, then we'd run like hell to get into the house before the mosquitoes drained a pint of blood!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Question about the carpet- Will it rot the wood? I know it is under the canopy and would most likely not get wet if it rained, but sometimes, when the rain comes in at an angle some stuff does get wet underneath the canopy.

I guess you could hang it up on the railings of the deck after it rains. I would like an outdoor carpet for my deck. It would enhance my outdoor living space. ;) But that was my concern.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't think so, Aim.. buy the indoor/outdoor kind.. that's what it's meant for.. it doesn't stay wet for long so it shouldn't cause mould problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts