Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If not, what do you use for fleas/ticks?? (if anything?)

Thanks, in advance! :)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
You don't have those there in Canada?
Wow...I wonder if you could order from a catalogue.

K

·
0 Posts
we dont have ticks in our neck of the woods and fleas are very hard to come by. though i still think you can buy advantix from the vet for preventative.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked our St.Catharines vets last year around this time if I could put Henry on K9 Advantix and if I remember correctly, they told me that it's not available yet in Canada. I'm not sure about Frontline.

Henry's never had fleas *knock wood* and I've only ever found 1 tick on him. We're very outdoorsy and hike a lot in the woods and on the trails and in long grass, so maybe it's not as prevalent here? ??? Or, perhaps, we've just been lucky. ;)

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I think that they are only available at vets offices. They don't all carry the same meds, so you may need to shop around. My vet has my boys on Revolution.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I think I would make a run for the border if not. I have Cinnamon on heartworm meds and we don't have a real problem with it in AZ especially in the desert where we live.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Interestingly, this came up tonight at the club. One of the handlers was telling me she gives her Schnauzer a mixture of Brewer's Yeast and Garlic. She buys it at "Nature's Farmacy." I think that's how it's spelled.

Has me tempted to look into it for the boys.

They're both on Advantix now. We have lots of fleas around here. Ticks too. This handler said she'd never had a problem with either since she's been doing the Garlic and Brewer's Yeast. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Not exactly sure if you can get them here...I get mine from across the water anyhow, its much cheaper.

I have a box of frontline plus here if you want it, my cousin is a vet tech and gives me all sorts for free. I don't use it as it treats too much, I'd rather just treat what I need to, they get for heartworm, not for fleas or ticks. We really don't have a big tick problem here.

S

·
0 Posts
We hike, spend a lot of the spring and summer at the cottage - never had fleas or ticks. I talked it over with my vet, and since it's not a big problem in my part of Ontario, I'm not going to treat for them.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Mine are on Revolution. We spend weekends at the cabin, 38 acres of fields, woods, and swamp, I've not seen any fleas or ticks on them (although I don't know if those would be common there anyway). Only problem I had a couple of years ago was my golden got some kind of worm that wasn't caught by Revolution and I had to get a one-time dose of something else to fix that.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! :)

Connie, that's perfect! I'd rather go holistic/natural and I had heard the same about brewer's yeast/garlic! Thanks!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts