Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could get one good but basic zoom lens, mainly for portraiture... weddings (not pro, just amature) , etc, what one would you get?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Bill got a refurb
Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di
LD MACRO 1:2 Model A17E, Filter size 62mm, for Canon.

With a six year limited warranty - he loves it.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I have two favorites.
The canon 70-200 f2.8 L Is; it is an excellent lens, but very pricey
I keep the canon 17-55 f2.8 IS on my camera most of the time and I love it. This lens is also a little pricey.
Before I bought the 17-55, I used the 50mm f1.8. It is inexpensive and has good image quality. Also a good focal length for portraits.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have two favorites.
The canon 70-200 f2.8 L Is; it is an excellent lens, but very pricey
I keep the canon 17-55 f2.8 IS on my camera most of the time and I love it. This lens is also a little pricey.
Before I bought the 17-55, I used the 50mm f1.8. It is inexpensive and has good image quality. Also a good focal length for portraits.
I'm not a Canon person, but I just read a review on this lens in one of my photo magazines. That's the one I'd be saving for. :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have a 50mm and use it more than any of my other lenses. It is a great lens. It's my favorite by far.

Are you wanting shots of the ceremony or candids at the reception? If you can get close during the ceremony, it should be ok. And definitely will work great at the reception, as long as you can get up and move around.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I love my 50mm. Best $100 ever spent on this camera. Great in low-light. I also have the Sigma 30mm. Even better in low light then the 50mm, though I truly believe the image quality on the Canon 50 is better. But, they are both really *short*. Great for portraits!

My last purchase was a Canon 70-300 IS. This is a terrific lens! Not 'L' quality, but close -- and much, much less expensive. The color is terrific, nice bokeh, etc. Plus, I like the extra reach the 300 mm gives you.

If you want, pm me your email address and I would be happy to share a few of the images I have coaxed from this lens. :)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I want the Tamron 18-270 mm. It's in the $550 range and nice and small for the zoom. I have the canon 70-300 mm and it is pretty large.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Here are a few others--the Canon 28-105 is $200, another I would consider if I didn't want a larger zoom.

Tamron 18-200--no IS but still a decent zoom, size, and inexpensive--$260 on amazon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
1) EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS (definately worth the money!)
2) Tamron 17-50 2.8 (another option and much less espensive)
3) 60 2.8 macro (awesome lens!)
4) 50 1.4 (nice lens although I hardly use it)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! And thanks Anne, for the emails, beautiful pictures! I am currently watching 2 on ebay, and have found one locally (the 50mm). Hopefully I will have two!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts