Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this mentioned often and think we need to try this with Taffy. It is taking her a very long time to go these days.

Is this in the canned vege aisle of the market? How much to start? This will make the stool a bit softer and easier to pass, right?

TIA

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I have never used it, but I think it is for the opposite . . . loose stools.

But, yes it should be in the canned vegetable aisle (at our store it is near the yams).

·
Registered
960 Posts
I find the canned pumpkin in the baking section as it is in the pie making area. (Don't get the spiced stuff that is ready for pies, just get the normal stuff). I also thought it was to give fibre and harden stools not soften them?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Like everyone else said you can find it in the baking aisle. You could also use fresh green beans mashed those work as well. But also I do beleive its mainly to help firm up stoole. Thats why I gave it to Sawyer. I used two table spoons.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I put a little dab in both Tal's and Barney's food. They've never had constipation problems, but dirrahea, oh yeah! :vomit:

Anyways, it is located in the baking section where the canned fruit is for pies. The spicy kind will say pumpkin pie mix. You want the 100% pumpkin. I use the Libby's brand.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh! To firm up!!! That's right - that's what I remember now. Glad I posted here. Can you imagine if I didn't ask today and gave it to her and it made things worse! Yikes.

Off to google...

Thanks all.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Is she just not going or trying to go and it's not happening for her? Is she drinking enough water? I would try a teaspoon or two of olive oil or even better, mineral oil in her food, or some chopped up leafy greens (yum...fiber) if she'll eat them, you can add bran to her diet as well. Believe it or not there's always the tush thermometer with vaseline just like we did for human babies in the olden days!!

If she doesn't relieve herself w/in 48 hours a visit to the vet is a must. I hope she hasn't ingested anything that would cause a blockage.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I Like Ike said:
I have read that it is good for both constipation and diarrhea. If you Google canned pumpkin for dogs you will find some info on it, including how much to feed them.
I know for people, if you have loose stools they say to increase your fiber. If you are constipated - increase your fiber. So maybe it's the same for dogs.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She IS able to go - it's just taking a lot longer lately. She is drinking plenty of water too. I realized last night that there may be a connection with this recent issue and the Synovi G3 Chewable supplements the vet recommended that we started giving her a few months back. I've researched a bit, and although it is not shown as a side effect, a very small amount of people have noticed it. I'm going to call the vet to discuss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.