Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my 2 kitties "Blue" dry in the morning, and canned cat food at night. I would like to continue feeding them canned once a day because after doing some research, this seemed to be what was recommended. These are 2 growing boys and they eat a fair amount. I cannot feed them those little cans of cat food because they would eat one a piece and I can't afford that. I was feeding Innova Evo in the large cans (like dog food cans) and it would cover 3 meals for both of them, but it is very difficult for me to get to the place that sells it. It's where I train Emilu at, but it's over 1.5 hrs away in a direction that I would never go to otherwise. The large cans are $1.69 for very high quality food for 3 meals. I buy the whole case if they have it. The problem is - they don't have all the time, and now close at 6pm and I can't get there at all.

Does anyone know of any brands of larger cans of good quality cat food? I've been to every store that sells pet food, and they don't have ANY kinds of large cans.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Maybe buy it online and have it shipped? The small chain near me has many varieties of canned cat food and they sell online - JB Wholesale Pet Supply. There are probably tons of other choices.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
If you're willing to do mail order, there are lots of choices. Wellness (as Andrea said) comes in large cans, as does California Natural. My guys love both.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check out mail order stuff - I was just afraid that the shipping costs might be really expensive because of the weight.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Pat - when I was transitioning Hope from kitty to adult food it got a bit tricky. I made the mistake of giving her those Whiska "Temptations" treats when the dogs got their treats. For a while that is all she would eat so I started her on Whiskas kibble. No go. Then I blended her kitten food with Purina Cat Chow (I have always fed all my animals on Purina regular kibble with very nice health and nutrition results.). No go. Then I tried some wet Whiska stuff on top of her kibble about twice a week. She would lick the wet stuff off and leave the rest. That was a no go for ME.

I finally put two bowls of kibble out for her; one Whiska, one Purina. The Whiska kibble sat for one week and she snarfed the Purina. That was it. Done. Decision made. From time to time I drizzle a bit of beef or chicken broth over it but she actually prefers her food unadorned now. GOOD!

I'm so reluctant to feed wet food on a regular basis to cats... SO bad for their teeth in the long run. If only they made kitty Nylabones to help with the teeth cleaning!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Pat, Cleo gets Wellness or Innova. Maybe one of the local pet stores would be willing to order in what you would like to buy since you'll be buying it frequently - have you asked them if they could order it in yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts