Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to decide on a good food for Sammie. I would love input on this product. I'm feeding Innova Evo and I think it may be too rich for my dog.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I fed one of mine the chicken and rice for a little while and honestly did not see any change in him, so we went back to the Kirkland. Nothing good; nothing bad.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've just started on this food and am curious as well. So far, 3 days into the transition, I haven't seen anything bad, but I haven't honestly noticed much change. I suppose it's much too early to tell. I look forward to hearing more peoples' experiences too!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
If you like the Innova, you might try the Innova LB. It's basically like the Canidae All Life Stages but it does have barley in it (I think). I was trying to steer clear of barley when I chose the Canidae.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was chatting away with my sister on the phone about kibble (she has goldens) and after listening a while, she said, "Isn't it great that the biggest problem in your life right now is choosing the right kibble?" Ouch....maybe since my 1 human son is grown and in the airforce, I am becoming a bit anal about Sammie...I want to do everything right...I think I'm not alone on this website. :0)

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
When Zoe was a puppy...I spent hours on the net...hours in pet food shops...hours talking to people who had lots of lab experience. I drove myself nuts. We are on a middle grade food; that's what ended up working for her, but yeh, I was obsessed with researching it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When Zoe was a puppy...I spent hours on the net...hours in pet food shops...hours talking to people who had lots of lab experience. I drove myself nuts. We are on a middle grade food; that's what ended up working for her, but yeh, I was obsessed with researching it.
:-\ I'm a little embarrassed to say that sounds JUST like me. I've learned so much here, but I would definitely still call myself obsessed. I think one of the biggest lessons I've learned is that there is no BEST food. Just like people, dogs have different needs and thrive on many different foods.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feed Max this and I've been pleased. His coat is very thick and soft, good stools, good energy (I have found nothing to completely get rid of the dandruff when it's cold and dry). He seems to like it more than other things I have fed him. He also did well on Solid Gold but didn't seem to like it.

There are so many good food options out there. I got a lot of grief from my wife about researching dog foods endlessly rather than just feeding dog chow, but in leau of recent events I am glad I learned some things.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We started with Wellness but our Toby's stool was very soft/runny ... than we switched to Canidae Lamb and Rice.
It works fine for our dog...the stool is firm, the dog looks great ...but we just emptied our first 40lbs bag.

We think it is a very good food but every dog is different.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
zoezoe said:
I fed one of mine the chicken and rice for a little while and honestly did not see any change in him, so we went back to the Kirkland. Nothing good; nothing bad.
Same here...and on my limited budget I can't justify paying more for no reason. Jes did well on it, and it has good ingredients, but he also did just as well on Diamond - and around here it's 1/2 the cost. Canidae seems to be one of those foods that dogs either do well on it, or do really poorly.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I feed Canidae! Angus has eaten it for, oh, about a year and a half now. A little over a year.

Works GREAT for him! No problems whatsoever. No skin issues, no gunky ears, great stools. Couldn't be happier with it!

We just switched Simon to Fromm's Salmon and Veg in hopes of clearing up some gunky ear and anal gland issues. So far it seems to be working OK. It's only been a month or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We feed Hudson Canidae Lamb meal and rice. We use to feed him the all life stage formula, but the turkey and chicken gave him bad gas. I am very happy with the quality of the food and his stools are always small and hard, good coat, etc.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
ks02 said:
:-\ I'm a little embarrassed to say that sounds JUST like me. I've learned so much here, but I would definitely still call myself obsessed. I think one of the biggest lessons I've learned is that there is no BEST food. Just like people, dogs have different needs and thrive on many different foods.
I think everyone has to go through that process. We always fed grocery store brands (Kibbles 'n Bits, 'Ol Roy, whatever) to our dogs when I was a kid. When I got Jes, I actually started looking at those ingredients and decided I wanted to feed something better. I kept trying to find that best food, and I couldn't figure out why no one could tell me which food was the best. After feeding foods that were considered top quality by some magazines with poor results, I finally realized that you can't make a "best" food that will work for every dog out there. There are just too many variables with each dog.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
My neighbor feeds Candiae weight management formula. He does well on it.

What about the EVO concerns you?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I fed Canidae to Henry and it was waaay too rich for him (awful gas and runny poops!).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gracie has been on Canidae All Stages for about 2 years now and is doing great. She was a very picky eater ... tried mixing Science Diet Sensitive Skin formula in with her food a few years ago and she actually picked out the little triangle shaped pieces and left them on the floor! She was very overweight and tore a cruciate ligament. That was when I started researching foods. I settled on the Canidae as it had what I was looking for and had no corn, wheat or soy. She loves the Canidae and we have had no problems with loose stools or gas. I am always getting compliments on her coat, she has much less dandruff and almost no doggy odor. People used to think she was an old dog, now she is almost 7 and I have had people tell me they thought she was only 2! ;D

I did try the Lamb and rice formula when it first came out and she ended up with very dry skin, so I went back to the All Stages. If we had a Cosco around here, I would probably try the Kirkland, I have heard wonderful things about it. All in all, the Canidae is not very expensive...I pay $27 for a 40lb bag..and my girl has done great on it. You do have to give it about 6 weeks or so to see a change and let their system adjust. No food is great for every dog, unfortunately it is one of those things you just have to "try and see". Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
The dog I co-own (Red) I had put on Canidae because he had such ear issues on ProPlan. He is doing great on it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for all of your responses.

Dani, I'm trying to take 10 pounds off of Sam. He is a medium-energy lab. My vet said to go ahead and try Innova Evo, but it the weight isn't coming off, to switch to another brand.

I've decided to stay with Evo since Sam has adjusted to it well. If I don't see weight reduction at the current amount I'm feeding him, I reduce it. Right now I'm giving Sam 2 cups a day, with a little chicken or turkey breast in the morning and with green beans (without salt at night). I put aside some of the morning cup to put in Sam's kong.

I've only started reducing Sam's food a few weeks ago when I switched from Nutro to Innova. I think it will take a little time to see any results.

Sam weighs 120 lbs...its hard to imagine going much lower than two cups! :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts