Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DFL is carrying this now. I just picked up a small bag to try.

The boys were on Canidae a couple of years ago, but we went grain-free when Angus was diagnosed with MCT. That's the only reason we switched. Loved it.

I'm excited that they have a grain-free choice now...but why do I have Canidae red-flagged in my head? Was there a recall? Formula change? Factory change? What was it?

I know someone here will remember... Thanks!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Several months back they had a formula change that was causing problems in some dogs. My BIL's Husky mix had been on Canidae for 2 years and he got pretty sick with the new formula. They switched him to another brand and by the 3rd day he was almost back to normal. I wonder if that's what you heard about.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
869 Posts
Shane was put on Canidae by the breeder and I continued keeping him on it, and had no real problems, but when they changed the formula, he started to itch, so now I went grain free, but I chose EVO and he's doing great on it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Bella was on Canidae for many years, but we switched off it when we heard about the new formula and the problems that were being reported. We were starting to think about changing anyway, so it was an easy decision for us. (We switched to Natures Variety Prairie.)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I fed one bag to Cinder and I really liked it. Problem was it is really calorie dense and she gained 10 lbs in a WEEK!!
I tried cutting her back but was hardly feeding her 1.5 cups a day.
So we switched her to taste of the wild. Over 100 cal less a cup and we pulled her weight down and doing good.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
We switched off Canidae when they switched the formula and all our ear problems came back :( Then I found out that Diamond is manufacturing for them now. We switched to Natural Balance Duck and Potato. So far, so good.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I think based on this I am going to take the Canidae back and stay with TOTW.

The boys have been on Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue, but the price keeps going up and up and up. There is now a $20 difference in Timberwolf and TOTW. They have had TOTW before and done well, so I'm back to that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts