Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Canebrake Rattle Snake Bite UPDATED 1st page

UPDATE on the JRT. This from my vet/friend tonight.

"Unfortunately, the Jack got another vial of Crofab and never regained conciousness. Those were the owners directives. That dog bled into the brain due to the effect of the venom on clotting factors. The owners slept through that part. This was the 21rst snake the dog had killed. They gave her Benadryl and went to bed."

So rest in peace little JRT. :(

I had to take Remington to the vet this morning for his checkup, rabies shot. As we were waiting this woman comes flying in, crying up a storm.

My vet (who is also my friend) came out and got us. She goes into the back and comes back in carrying a bloodly hefty bag and saying, "Look what Dr. Tierny came into this morning." I really thought it was a bloody organ, that a dog had surgery. Well, it was the dead rattle snake. It had bit the lady's dog. They were waiting to hear back from the hospital for anti-venom. The dog was in a coma and not doing well. The anti-venom is $2000.00 a pop. My vet told me the prognosis is not good, even with the anti-venom. The people were going to do it though, and the estimated bill was over $5000.00. (They needed two vials of the anti-venom.)

Now, I love my dogs, but there's no way I could have financially done that, especially given the prognosis. I would have balled like a baby, but my dog would have been put down. So sad. I hope the lady's dog does okay. It was a little jack russell, and it got a LOT of venom from the snakebite.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
OMG..that is awful!!

I never heard of that kind of snake so I looked it up. Here are the common names for it:

Timber rattlesnake, banded rattlesnake, American viper, ******* rattlesnake, black rattlesnake, canebraker, cane rattler, canebrake rattlesnake,

They are called Timber rattlers around here but I prefer the 4th name on the list :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor baby!!!! I hope and pray that he makes it.

I would have done it in a second. Borrow against my equity loan if I had to.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Unfortunately I'd have to put mine down too. I hope the dog comes out of the coma okay.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm waiting for an update on the JR. I'll let you know when I hear back. My friend usually emails me late at night, around midnight.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Holy Crap. Two vials for a JRT. I wonder how many a Lab would have to have. I don't know what I'd do. I hope I never have to find out.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Poor dog - hope he pulls through. My Nellie did, without anti-venom. We were out hiking in the middle of nowhere when it happened, and the nearest vet in the area did not have any. She had a rough recovery, to the tune of $2200, but she made a complete recovery. Sending my best to the little JRT.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
How sad & scary. I will keep the JR in my prayers.

We are supposed to go to Georgia in Febraury to train. I have put it off for 3 yers now because the have those cotton mouth snakes all around plus alligators. Scres me to death. The plantations they train on are near Tallahasse Florida.

Please let us know how he is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts