Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know about Jim Crow?

Do not google it. Just tell me if you do or do not know about Jim Crow and what that name stands for.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I know the Jim Crow Laws had something to do with segregation in the southern US (voter eligibility??)... no more than that without googling..

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I'll tell you why I asked after a few more Canadians respond.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I suspect many Americans wouldn't be able to answer this question either. :(

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Anne said:
I suspect many Americans wouldn't be able to answer this question either. :(
Maybe not the younger ones. I would think most over the age of 35-40 would know.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I hadn't heard of it, no.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I was asking is because Cameron (5) was singing a song he learned at school and it went something like this.. "Jump Jim Crow, slide, slide, slide just so. Pick another partner and around we go"

I was livid. My husband, who is much more laid back than me, said it was probably due to the fact that Canada didn't have the racial issues the US did and most Canadians have no clue who or what Jim Crow was.

What's a mom to do?? Do I approach the EA who taught him this song and ask that she no longer sing it? Do I let it go?

Who would have thought in 2009, I'd have to even deal with anything like that.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
First of all what is a EA? If that is an adult, I would definitely talk to her. No way should an adult be teaching that to a child. If that is another child, maybe talk to her parents?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Well I certainly know about racial segregation, but I had no idea it was called Jim Crow. I would absolutely mention it. The EA might not even know. But yes, not an appropriate song at all.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
hubby says Jim Crowe has something to do with black people and racial issues
he is saying something about Jim Crowe laws

going to read the thread now and see if he's right

I have never heard the name or term

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
oh explain what the connotation is for the song- I bet she has no clue
I'm a history major who focused on Can-Am relations in university and I didn't know it - I could see singing the song at camp or something if a kid introduced it ..without knowing context it sounds pretty innocent

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
according to the ever reliable wikipedia, jump jim crow was a minstrel song first (minstrels were usually whites singing in blackface), then the laws were nicknamed after the song.

Still way inappropriate, but I doubt the EA knows the history/connontation

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
okay amy.. i had /never/ heard of it, and would never have thought anything about Cameron's song.. strange.

Maybe whoever taught him the song, doesn't know either.. i mean if i picked it up from someone and sang it, i'd be horrified to find out what it was about, if it's offensive.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Amy, I just had a thought. Imagine if you were crossing at the border and a customs agent heard that coming from the back seat! Denied!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TangerineFizz said:
Amy, I just had a thought. Imagine if you were crossing at the border and a customs agent heard that coming from the back seat! Denied!
I know! Or what if Cam decided to burst out in song at the mall that we go to near my parents house. Egads.

I'm sure she doesn't know about it. Brendan said he doubted the teacher knew anything about Jim Crow laws or what any of that was about. He said most Canadians wouldn't be familiar with the term Jim Crow.

But is it still ok for them to sing? I guess that is my question.

Let me just reiterate- I do not think this teacher taught them this song with any ill intentions. I think it was (is) complete ignorance on her part.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts