Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever noticed when you grab something at the super market, or try to read directions to something....

You are always looking at French language side first ?

::)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I was looking at soup at the grocery store today... and every can of one kind was turned to the french side, curiosity got the better of me and it turns out it was mushroom and barley (champignon et orge)... I had NO idea what the French word for barley was!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Sacre bleu!! :mad:

LOL!! (or would that be... rire a haute voix? :p)

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
henrysmom said:
Sacre bleu!! :mad:

LOL!! (or would that be... rire a haute voix? :p)
Even I have trouble with "computer short form" in french ;)

honestly - most of the products I see are English side forward.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I always do that! And I can't read French to save my life. At least my dh can read it, so he just keeps reading that side. I have to turn it around to the other side. ;)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
You can come down here and learn Spanish. :p

Actually there aren't that many products in most supermarkets that are in Spanish, but most instructions that come in various products are in English and Spanish. We also have a large migrant population so it's not that unusual to see Mexican grocery stores and authentic restaurants (which I love)...not that Chi-Chi's crap.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
The difference here Nick is that it is required by law. Both English and French are the official languages of this country.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
honestly - most of the products I see are English side forward.
Outside of Quebec, I believe that's how stores are required to face their products.
That's how I was taught: always have the English side facing out.

I can read both sides, so I guess it doesn't matter to me! :p

G

·
Yes, it is very annoying when it turns out to be not the food i am looking for!!! lol :p I know basic words like ham, chicken, cheese etc, but anywho... ;)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
kaisdad said:
The difference here Nick is that it is required by law. Both English and French are the official languages of this country.
Yeah, we don't have an official language....a lot of people think English is our official language, but alas, we have none. There are a few border towns, though, where the de facto official language is Spanish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts